How to predict system performance?

I have received an order from upper level manager to "verify system information via Perform/predict'. They asks me to *predict* the system performance. How can I do it as a system admin without the help of application admins and DBAs?

Thanks!

One way to predict system performance, is by running a statistical package, like a linear regression package, against your historical data and current data.

Another way is to look for leading indicators, or precursors, in the same data.

Either way, prediction is "hard stuff" ...... in many ways, it is the "holy grail" of systems monitoring.

What we do, in the absence of good predictive analytics, is to make sure we have very good visualization (charting) capabilities.

Visualization (charting) and the human mind, along with some basic event triggers, is the first step toward predictive systems analysis.

What visualization package are you using?

Cheers.

Neo,

Thanks a lot for your reply. You use concise words to draw a big picture of "system performance prediction". It's very helpful.

Sorry I don't know what type of visualization tools we are using. I am still new here.

Regards,:slight_smile:

Well I would start off by looking at the application and database requirements. IE How big will the database be. Is it read only or read write, How many users, How many simultaneous users, what hardware are they running on ,etc. Probably the easiest way is to look at the development or test environment and take into account the additional resources needed. Things I've learned..... Always predict worse than you actually think (15%) and include a caveat. 8)

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but when you say "Perfom/predict", you are talking about the application named Perform, right? If that is so, Perform can do that for you, or at the very least give you all the data you'd need to make an assessment.

This is not "prediction". What you describe is planning.

The original poster asked about predicting system performance (using automated tools).

-----Post Update-----

There are hundreds of applications on the Internet named "Perform" ... To discuss a particular application, please post the link.

Thanks.

I was referring to BMC's Enterprise Performance Assurance suite, from BMCsoftware.com, which has apps named Perform and Predict within the suite. I thought the OP would know what that is if his/her management asked specifically to do the task "via Perform/Predict"...