How to go to GUI from text mode?

Dear All,

i am trying to install the redhat linux using graphical mode...but it stucks while probing video card...i have installed linux using text mode it works fine and whole the installation goes fine. after installation if i give startx command it again stucks....looks like a vga card problem... my cd is genuine and comes with the same hardware on which i am trying to install.

Any help please

What type of video card have you got?

dear fpmurphy,

thanx for the reply, its a dell server machine c3xqf4j, and its vga card is nvidia. one more thing that i came to know that i checked it with pirated redhat linux setup, it went fine with no problem. but when i again tried to install using the original cd it starts giving problem.

waiting for your kind reply

What is the exact, complete model number of the video card?

its Nvidia QuadroFX 3700

Your video card is supported, according to NVIDIA:

Linux Display Driver - x86

That's good news after all :smiley:

---------- Post updated at 10:25 ---------- Previous update was at 10:20 ----------

From NVIDIA:

Dear Neo,

Thanx for the information, i have downloaded the driver and trying to install in textmode but now during installation of driver it gives error that development tool cc does not exist on its location or gcc is not installed.... :rolleyes:

any help...

The NVIDIA instructions for installing the driver seem pretty easy and clear to me, frankly speaking.

Yaaahoooo problem solved. i downloaded the driver from the website, then install GCC and Kernal-devel as these are pre-requisites of driver setup. then install driver using rpm.

1)- but still now when i boot system. it starts in text mode, i have to give command startx to go to gui. is there a way that on rebooting it directly goes to gui interface.

2)- when desktop comes there are no buttons of shutdown/restart in the menu. can any one guide me from where to bring them

You can start a new thread in the desktop forum to ask questions about setting up your desktop environment.