How to get the Linux system information?

Hi,

How to get the Linux system hardware and software basic information using terminal command ?

Here below i have specified some of the information i need. Please have a look at this and guide me.

OS Name:
OS Version :
OS Manufacturer:
OS Configuration:
OS Build Type:
Registered Owner:
Registered Organization:
Product ID:
Original Install Date:
System Up Time:
System Manufacturer:
System Model:
System type:

Processor(s):
System Locale:
Input Locale:
Time Zone:

and printer information.

Thanks in advance.

Can look into /proc filesystem, which shows lots of system states from kernel level.
e.g:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat /proc/meminfo

Hi,

Is it possible to get the all those basic information through SNMP ?

Thanks.

Yes, anything is possible.

• You can look through the standard Linux SNMP MIBs and use the standards.
  • You can create an MIB for the metrics/parameters you need.

In UNIX and Linux, just about anything is possible, BTW.

Can you give the MIB files used for this?

Better if you use Google or some other search engine and search for the MIBs you need, don't you think?

Then, you can create a table of your required information and the name of the MIB and post back as a reference for others?

Thanks.

Hint: MIB Depot

Well.. since you're posting in just about every forum group for pretty much the SAME thing... remember that dmidecode is out there for parsing smbios info. If you're on a SUSE variant or a debian variant that has it installed, then hwinfo pretty much gives you everything you'd ever want to know. It's similar to lshw, but even better. hwinfo looks at smbios, sysfs, procfs, devfs and does correlation. It's VERY impressive.

Generically, dmidecode is more prevalent. I'd look for hwinfo first then dmidecode. Up to you if you want to search for and use lshw if present. Then you can get information about the cpu from /proc/cpuinfo and you can get a lot of device information from /sys (sysfs).... realizing that it is EVOLVING and changes a lot from OS release to release (where present).

The other posts have already suggested other good places to look.