How to get /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc in my Solaris 10

Dear All, I am having so much of trouble in making in my solaris 10 machine. I am trying to get /opt/SUNWspro (basically: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc) in my machine. I am new to solaris. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
error facing:
sh: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc: not found

@Preethi , welcome, we hope you find the forum helpful,

what trouble are you having ? , show commands entered,errors issued ... showing the actual trail of commands/errors encountered etc is much more communicative for the team than 'having so much trouble in .... ' but no useful description of the 'trouble'

how have you attempted to install the SUNWspro packages ?

have you looked at any installation guides on the oracle web site for this software ?

take a read of

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19422-01/819-3052/products.html

have you spoken with sysadmins, other experienced colleagues ?

@munkeHoller Sorry for not adding those information above. When I searched for adding SUNWspro in solaris 10, I could not get any commands on installing the same. I do not have the folder SUNWspro under /opt/ and I get the below error when I make inside my corresponding folder:

sh: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc: not found

bash# echo $PATH

/usr/ucb/cc:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/sfw/bin

bash# man cc

SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands cc(1B)

NAME cc - C compiler

SYNOPSIS /usr/ucb/cc [options]

hi,

you haven't answered all the questions, please do that first.

also, ensure you have correct privileges to install the software !

also, read this and confirm .. see if its helpful, if not - say why. ...

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19059-01/stud.10/819-0485/products.html

The referred Web page has a download link to wwws.sun.com that no longer works.
Perhaps Oracle does not provide a "try and buy" version?
The Solaris C and C++ compiler has always been commercial.
Contact Oracle sales!

Alternatively you can try to install the free gcc compiler.

Hi,

As it happens, I think Oracle Developer Studio is actually a free download these days. Like most Solaris-style software though, Oracle make major point releases publicly available, but if you want regular updates and security patches, that would indeed still need a paid support subscription. Unlike Solaris however, the license for which states clearly that you can't use it for commercial purposes even if you can legitimately get it for free, it looks like Oracle are happy for people to download and install this for whatever purpose they want.

So if you want to give it a go, the download page for Solaris 11, Solaris 10 and Linux is here:

Download Options for Oracle Developer Studio

Alternatively, as @MadeInGermany also suggests, you could look at just using GCC for Solaris, if all you need to do is compile some piece of open-source software or other. That's probably the most straightforward option in some ways, but it all depends on what you're trying to do and why you're wanting to do it, really.

Hope this helps !

4 Likes

Hi @MadeInGermany, I tried downloading gcc compiler in solaris 10, the links are not available. Thank you for letting me know that C compiler of solaris is only for sale. It helped me a lot.

Try the Oracle Developer Studio,
follow the link in drysdalk's last post!

Thank you lots @drysdalk . Could you please let me know the name that I have to download to get SUNWspro?

@MadeInGermany thank you for the help.

I changed my cc as below: cc=/usr/sfw/bin/gcc. This worked for me. Thanks a lot.

Hello,

I see you've now got this working with GCC, so that's good. But to answer your question: SUNWspro is one of the packages that will be installed on your Solaris system when you install Oracle Developer Studio. So you would just download the appropriate installer from the linked Web page, and when you ran it, it would install that package, if that package was required on your system.

2 Likes