How to copy a file from one unix server to another unix server on same network

I want copy a file from one server to another server using open server SCO UNIX 5.06

Back in the era of SCO 5.0.6, NFS (Network File Service) was a separate product license. Do your two servers have NFS installed or not?

Also, how big is the file that you want to copy?

you can copy files or folder by using either scp or rsync.
SCP: scp -r (path to the file or folder) username@remote_host:destination_directory
RSYNC: rsync -a ~/dir1 username@remote_host:destination_directory

Both server are same network and file size is approx 30MB

Sir
I am using SCO 5.05 there is no command scp, can i use cp command or
use ftp command please sugget me.

SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 is a version of the SCO operating system that was released in the late 1990s. The scp (secure copy) command is not included in the base installation of SCO OpenServer 5.0.5, but it can be added through the installation of additional software packages such as the OpenSSH package. This package can be obtained from the SCO website or from other third-party sources.

1 Like

Hello,

In that case, a few of your options would be:

• Set up an NFS filesystem that you then mount on both the SCO box and the destination box, and put the file on that filesystem so they can both see it, as per @hicksd8's suggestion.
  • Set up an FTP server that you can upload the file to from the SCO box via the ftp command, and then use FTP on the destination box to download that file.
  • You could possibly attempt to e-mail the file from one server to the other, if they are both running an SMTP server. That will depend entirely on how exactly they are configured however, but this may be an option, though it's not the best option to be sure.
  • Does the SCO server have a built-in CD-RW drive ? If it does, you could get a blank CD, burn the file to it, and then use either the destination server's internal CD-ROM or an external CD-ROM drive to get the file over.
  • Is the SCO box running a Web server ? If so, put the file in the document root of one of the Web sites it hosts, and then download it using wget or curl on the destination server.
  • Lastly (and I mostly mention this for the sake of completeness): you could look at using uucp. To be honest I don't recommend this. Unless you're quite familiar with how it works, it is to modern eyes a very strange beast and quite difficult to work with. But it may be an option, if all else fails.

I don't think on SCO 5.0.6 using a USB stick is an option unfortunately, it's just a bit too old if I remember rightly to have USB mass storage support. That's a pity, since that would of course have been the easiest option. But if I'm wrong and USB storage is supported, then this is definitely the way to go.

Another option is rcmd or rsh (if it's installed).
Once the calling host is invited in /etc/hosts.equiv or .rhosts, one can do

rsh remotehost ls

To transfer a file do

rsh remotehost "cat > filename" < filename
2 Likes

Remembering SCO 5.0.6 as I do, if both systems are on the same network, yes, 'ftp' is probably the quickest and easiest way to do it IMHO. Make sure that you set either ASCII mode or binary mode correctly according to the file type to be transferred. The problem is a potential security risk if any part of the systems or network is not known to you and not under your control.

1 Like

fyi - the nc command (if present on your system) can also transfer files, but ftp should be preferred if available.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.