How do you prefer to read books?

Time for a new poll. Just wondering how members in this forum prefer to read books.

• Paper
  • E-reader
  • Tablet
  • Laptop/Desktop
  • Smartphone
  • Audiobook
  • Not much of a reader
  • Other

A poll is added. If you select option: Other, please specify what it is. :b:

Starting at page 1.:smiley:
Paper or large screen. I only use the phone or notebook in desperation.

Paper if possible, but a Kindle is handy for when I'm away from home for a few days (which is fairly often right now).

I prefer Kindle books (well, kinda, see below) because I travel quite a bit... and have adopted a kind of a nomadic lifestyle. It's great to have 100s of book titles on a small device that weight a 100+ grams or so ....

But the downside is that charts, tables, illustrations, etc are not very good on the Kindle, so paper books are much better for books that have illustrations, diagrams, flowcharts, pictures, etc....

So, I guess I actually "prefer books"... but have adopted to Kindle to keep it light for travel, car trips, plane trips, or just waiting in line at the local government for some paperwork to happen.

While I can certainly appreciate the utility and convenience of being able to carry thousands of books in a hundred grams, and being able to quickly search voluminous references, when it comes to reading for pleasure, I will always kill a tree.

I enjoy turning pages. Sometimes, I enjoy smelling them too (please, don't spread that around). I enjoy how the weight shifts as I progress through those pages. And, finally, I enjoy being able to just hand a book to someone and say, "Read this. It's fantastic."

Regards,
Alister

5 Likes

Preference is

• Paper
  • Tablet
  • E-reader
  • Laptop/Desktop

In that order :slight_smile:

ebooks (PDF) and classic paper books

With eyes.

Not being facetious, but for my eyes, the bright white paper from most electronic devices to too harsh for published documents where you can't adjust the paper colour, so real paper for me

It's portable more than a PC too, and my phone is a Nokia 3410, so calls and text only because I'm not interested in paying for 'toys' at my age.

Published documents are great for searching, then I will print the relevant sections as folded A4 booklets and keep them to hand.

Robin

Audiobooks have been a blessing for me recently! I found out about audible.com, thanks to TWIT's Steve Gibson, and the Security Now podcast. So I get a book a month that I listen to when I'm at the gym or driving to work. It's really, really a good way to still read but if you don't have the time to sit down and block off time.

Paper

I like the feeling .. touching paper� its funny how I find things in book I read easily but can take weeks in my docs on computer

I tend to only read books on the Kindle Paperwhite these days.

The same here. I have (and like) documentation in PDF- or similar form, but i do not exactly "read" these. I rather consult it. The books i really care for and the ones i read (that is, from beginning to end) i prefer to have in paper and paper alone.

bakunin

I prefer paper, most of my text books have additional notes or examples - it's hard to write on an e-reader.

The dimension s of the paper help with memory.