how do you call a person who assembles computers?

The title says everything.
I'm wondering how we call in English the person who builds a computer.
I mean instead of buying a branded computer like dell or toshiba, how do you call the guy who assembles computers from pieces of various suppliers.

Thanks for your help
Santiago

That would probably be "white box system integrators".

Haha... not in English... never in English :smiley:

We call a person who builds a computer:

A "Computer Technician"

... or something similar.

A "system builder" I'd say..

English is certainly not my mother tongue so you must be true in your opinion. I really thought having listening that idiom from English and US natives speakers.

Systems integrator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perhaps "System Integration Engineer" won't hurt your ears ?

No, sorry. We don't call people who assemble computers "Systems Integration Engineers", in English.

"Systems Integration Engineers" are designers and design level professionals, not assembly professionals, which is considered a "technician".

In addition, "Systems Integration Engineers" would generally be required to study engineering in the university, which would include math, science, and a host of engineering topics.

People who assemble computer are generally considered to be "blue collar workers" in the US, where "Systems Integration Engineers" are generally "white collar workers".

For example, if we go to a retail store and want someone to assemble a computer for us, we would likely ask "Do you have a computer technician here who can build a computer for me?" We would not expect this person to be a "white collar worker" with an engineering degree, nor would we expect to pay for that skill level. We would expect to pay the (lower) wages of a "blue collar worker".

The same is true if a large company was hiring people to assemble computers. They would generally advertise for a "Computer Technician" of perhaps a "Computer Assembler" (but I have rarely heard that term used).

It is not a matter of "hurting my ears", it is a matter of using the correct title based on education, training, expected salary, skill level, etc.

Generally, "Computer Technician" is the most accurate and widely used term. "Systems Integrator" is generally not used for someone who assembles computers; but it can be used if they build networks and integrate systems, not components of a computer system.

The original poster asked about the term used for people who build (assemble) computers, not integrate various computer systems and networks.

---------- Post updated at 12:57 ---------- Previous update was at 12:53 ----------

OBTW, speaking of using a wiki as a reference:

Computer repair technician - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------- Post updated at 12:59 ---------- Previous update was at 12:57 ----------

Also, one more reference:

Computer Technician

Got it. Thanks for clarifying your point.

An acceptable UK Job Title is a "Computer Hardware Assembler". Not to be confused with a "Hardware Assembler" who assembles furniture.

In the home computing market it could be a "Computer Hobbyist" .

Technician's what I get called for that part of my job.