How clustering postfix?

hi
we have one postfix on Ubuntu server but we decided to create clustering 2 postfix server that both of them read from one source or replicated to getherdata and configuration .
do you have any one idea or solution for me?

@bita , Welcome, You should be aware that it is not the job of community members to write solutions for you, but rather to help you arrive at a working solution, we can answer questions, make suggestion etc, but ultimately YOU should provide the solution, this ensures that there is a partnership and that YOU benefit from the learning process augmented by the advice given by team members. With that in mind, can you confirm the following:

• is this homework / coursework ?

• why was it decided to cluster ?

• do you know that this can even be done ?, if yes, share the source of that information and explain why it is not sufficient to provide a solution for your requirements.

• has there been any research into clustering by you/your-team ? if yes, please share, if not then it is recommended you do some first before asking here for a 'solution'.
    http://www.postfix.org/start.html

• search google for postfix configuration and read some of the many articles posted.

• once you have answered the above and shown that research has been done then hopefully questions can be addressed.

hi
thanks for your responding,its for my job not home work. i want to do this for have fail over. in our company mail server is very important service so we want without any lost time it work and if one of them crash or dosnt work other one work instead on that.

@bita ok, please respond to ALL questions.

actually i understood that it can be don when i search on other forum. that some one says i am clustering or ha for postfrix but i found problem ...
but i couldn't understood all of their map .
like i understood that dovecot has replication method between 2 server .

@bita , sorry, but, these are inadequate responses - there is ZERO detail in them.

Start at the postfix documentation - you/your-team MUST dedicate time to read,digest,understand what is required in order to configure a multi instance service and not expect/hope that by asking someone else how to do it they will give you all the answers.

1 Like

:pray: :rose:

What exactly does your postfix server?
Receive mails from mail clients and forward to another mail sever?
Receive mails and forward them to mail clients?
Receive mails and provide mailboxes for clients?

Hello,

Essentially (and as others have mentioned here), the question of how you should cluster Postifx (and indeed whether or not you actually should do so) depends entirely on the exact role performed by the servers in question. If these are simple mail relay servers, designed to pass SMTP e-mail from one set of hosts on to another, then there is no benefit really from clustering them. Simple load balancing would suffice here, since they do not depend on any shared data beyond the configuration (which will be more or less stock, most likely).

If they are servers which pass e-mail on to mailboxes for collection via POP3, IMAP4 or Web mail, then the situation becomes a lot more complicated, and clustering may or may not be something you wish to consider. It all depends on the actual problem you are trying to solve, and what your reasons are for thinking that clustering is the answer.

Lastly, if these are SMTP servers for end-user use (i.e. "normal" computer users are using their mail clients or the Web interface to send e-mails out to the rest of the Internet via this server) then again clustering may be worth considering, in an active/failover kind of situation. But again here also, load balancing may suffice (or even simple round robin DNS entries to spread the outgoing mail load across servers, if that's your main concern). As with all the other scenarios, it all depends on exactly what your servers do, what the perceived problem is, and your reasons for thinking that clustering will be the answer to that problem.

So, if you can provide us with more details on what these servers do, what issues you are experiencing, and why you believe clustering is the answer to these issues, then we can hopefully take things from there.