Hex string conversion?

Hello all. I need help...
How can I cenvert this 42ec93df826c804ea531c56594db453d54daad4b to normal text? What convertor I have to use?
Thanks.

What is it?

Might be hex, might be hex unicode,

might be base-64 but no upper case or =+/

A hash maybe?

Unicode would make some glyph for every 16 bits, but it might span several languages. Is Universal Han OK? It has 20K glyphs, as I recall.

Maybe you wanted this?

perl -e'print pack "H*", "42ec93df826c804ea531c56594db453d54daad4b"'

I don't think so..... but anyway, the original poster is "hit and run" so we may never know.

Hello all again. As I know, this is Sha-1 code. And It's can't be decrypted... :confused:

Sha/md5 are all one way functions... if you manage to break it, let me know.

You did not know this was a hash function before posting?

(No sarcasm, LOL.... sarcasm does not work well cross-culture, and is easily misunderstood, thanks)

It's not "encryption" in the first place. It doesn't contain the data that was put into it.

It is the output of a one way hash, then it could be consider "encrypting" since one way hash functions can be used for encryption (passwords are often "encrypted" with a one-way hash).

That is why is it called a "cryptosystem", with the sam "crypt" in "cryptosystem" that is also in "encryption".

I checked an NIST also used the term "encryption" to describe one-way hash functions with regard to "password encryption".

I suppose when looked at it this way, but when someone comes along and says "I've compressed all my files with md5sum, how do I get them back" they're screwed. :slight_smile: