hacking - q about the thread

Not trying to start trouble here. (I would've locked that thread to.) But anyway, I have a question about it.

When you say hacking, I assume you mean in the pop culture script kiddey sense. But if you want to go by the older MIT deffinition, would not Unix, C Programming and the like not BE hacking? Does that not help spread misconceptions and sort of counterdict the forums subject matter?

Okay, I'm done being anal. :smiley:

Absolutely agree nothing wrong with
hacking (programming). People think
hacking is cracking and writing viruses.

Probably because of the incompetent
media. :mad:

I still like the word hacking and think UNIX stands for
universal exchange, but critics I do not like.:stuck_out_tongue:

Driver: You made some very good points, but of course, I disagree if not only for the point of argument. I'm tired, so give me a night to sleep, and then I'll make my rebuttal. :slight_smile:

... and regardless of the words other meanings, obviously in the rules here it is used to represent any illegal activity.

i dont think it helps to spread misconceptions, its all about using your head. :slight_smile:

I'm not interested, personally, in debating semantics. On the other hand the question is a good one, I think. The definition of hacking is available on the web:

Where both perspectives are in the definition:

It is obviously that our rules pertain to the definition that is related to illegal activities and not related to coughing, cutting trees, or refining computer programs skillfully,

Nor is it related to sports (golf hacking) or any of the other infinate variety of uses that such a widely used term could be constructed.

Furthermore, if we say 'hacking into a computer system or computer network' this could be either good or bad, depending on if the owner of the system or network has provided permission to do so.

In todays world, from my perspective, the term generally refers to illegal activities because of the myriad illegal activites that occur. It is sad, but true, how much the rise of the Internet and computing has given rise to so much cybercrime and cyberfraud.

When I describe people who 'skillfully refine computer programs', I tend to call them 'computer experts' or a term that I consider more mainstream in the year 2004. For example, I would not put on my resume that I am 'a hacker'..... I might put on my resume that I have years of experience and subject matter expertise in programming and 6 years of college education related to computer engineering and (blah blah).... I personally think that is more clear and more professional description.

Just my opinion.......

(good question, btw)

Until people are educated about the topic, hacking will always be what the media makes out it to be
:cool:

Sad but true fact :mad:

thats a life lesson right there in the world we live in today.

and its VERY sad. not just about hacking, but about everything else regarding what the media dictates to us.

Perception is reality......... unfortunately.

Browse the Jargon File.

Never new what foobar really meant, interesting.:eek: :smiley:

Also, history of hackers and terms.

Hacking and its relation to Open Source:

Free as in Freedom

yeah, guess your right. I'll tell you one thing, hacking is NOT good if you are referring to computers, even sure I am sure that you already new that. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Driver, I couldn't have put it better myself. Cheers.

Hacking is whatever you want to make it. There are numerous definitions; the one you chose to live with is up to you.

The good thing about information is that there is so much of it!!!!! And most of it is used for a particular purpose.

ACCORDING to my sources and research, the term "hack" and "hacking" relates back to the American Civil War when, when one side of the other installed telegraph wires along railroad tracks, the opposing sides would "hack" the telegraph wires to destroy communications.

In fact, the American Civil War (as I recall) was the first war to use such new fangled devices (telegraph and railroads) to support military logical operatiions.

So, there might be a lot of people who would like to define "hack" and "hacking' to be congruent with a particular cause or purpose. However, my research on the subject goes back to the Civil War in the US and the cutting of communications lines with tools like bayonets and axes :slight_smile:

Neo

what happened to the site???
www.hackers.com seems to be down... a new address???

but popular usage dictates meaning!....sometimes.