Google Chrome Operating System

Google Chrome OS is an open source Google project and will be available to use at no cost in 2010, initially be targeted at netbooks. In 2009, Google will open-source Chrome OS code.

The software architecture is Google Chrome running within a new window manager on top of the Linux kernel. The applications will be web-based, designed for people who spend most of their time on the web.

What do you think?

I think they better watch out! The last time someone said this was Sun in regards to Java. Microsoft used every trick in the book to make sure it didn't happen, including marginalizing Java, packaging IE with the OS, hooking in "ActiveX" controls into IE, and other tactics. Note, in general, they lost these battles, but won the war.

What's curious to me is that this comes on the heels of the announcement of B!ng and on reports that it is picking up speed (but that report turned out to be a yawner -- the gains were statistically insignificant and likely related to the buzz).

I use Chrome (browser) on a daily basis, and while I like it, it is susceptible to crashing when there are lots of windows/tabs open. But on the whole, it's fast and clean.

However, the big plus is this: for developers, there will no longer be a distinction between writing software for the web and for the local computer, which is what Java and Microsoft have been trying to do for years, but have ultimately failed. It also means that there will be a greater emphasis on distinguishing between functionality and presentation, which I'm all very much in favor of.

So, yet another Linux distro?

I don't think it is fair to compare Google's initiative with Linux to "Yet Another Linux Distro". But then again, that is only my view :smiley:

Serious OS competition can only be good for all of us the consumers! And it's web based. I think we all come out ahead, right? Google has a chance, maybe, against MS, that's the only worry.

I am not sure if network-based office computing is yet a serious threat to MS, but is cannot help. The world continues to innovate toward cloud and software-as-a-service computing and MS continues to fumble with trying to come up with a new OS.

Regarding MS's future, don't hold your breath for stunning innovation. Their computing model has little chance to gain new market share in the direction they are heading.

Google, on the other hand, is poised for continued growth.

It is fair. They should do an OS from scratch. It should be autonomic with extensive concurrency and fault tolerance. Who needs another version of 30 year old technology?

From what I hear it's not necessarily Linux but it is a Unix-like OS. That's what I like about it. I won't have to learn new commands to use the command line. Can't wait to try it out.

You may have misperception what OS is. Most of people never access OS, just use provided utilities which are not really part of OS. OS is just a kernel and basic, supporting libraries. One can create any user environment on top of this. This is why we can have Cygwin imitating UNIX environment in the Windows OS. One could drastically change OS without most users never noticing it. What we commonly call UNIX are utilities that give that environment a specific flavor.

I'll give it a try

Why would you say that? :confused:

Google has publicly stated it is based on Linux.... this quote is directly from the Google press release.

Please don't post hearsay when it is so easy to get the facts with a simple Google search.

Let me revive the thread, as Google has officially announced Chrome OS. Well, they say : "Most of all, we are obsessed with speed". While I'm with them for performance optimizations, an OS or Application that's relying on Internet connections is not my choice, especially in places where the wireless internet is still extremely slow. I'm also not OK with my data stored somewhere, in some electro-clouds. Not being paranoid, I have nothing to hide, but I'm just against the idea of someone else taking control of a large pools of data. Especially mine. I wasn't able to understand how's the situation handled when I have no Internet connection, which happens sporadically. And, in the end, there are other things besides Web.

Post seems pretty dead, but here's my 2c...

From what I have heard, even your music will be on-line... I'm not to sure how it works in other countries, but here in South Africa we pay for every megabyte we use... The operating system might be free, but your data plan will kill you 7 times!

Also I agree with sysgate. My information on someone else's PC? I don't even like my information on my PC. And I know the information on my dad's PC could be sold for a couple of million if you know the right people. He will obviously be fired... But what if the could owner (Google in this case) realize they need a bit of money. Besides, with their searching technology, it won't be hard for them to get the best of files... Not that I'm saying Google is like that, but they could if they wanne.

I think the way they are compiling this new OS might spread to other Linux Distro's... Your PC might boot in 2 seconds, you login to your browser... Check your mail, start your favorite music player, all this while the rest of your OS is loading. I mean why not?

Allot of this is great, and allot of this will help us in other levels of engineering computers... But unless you have a full speed always active uncapped Internet connection... Its kinda pointless.

Other than that, I'm really interested to trying it out! Think its gonne be a unique experience...

Thats my 2c...

Xethron

sorry about the old bump, but i think there's something that should be said, on top of what else has been said about this, and that is Unix-like is a definition of Linux.

i know i know, it's actually named after the creator, and not the similar letters in the name, but if you look up any Linux distro on wiki you will find they're defined as Unix-like on the right hand side of the page.

Using terms like "unix-like" is not based on technology as much as it is trademark rights and inter-corporate money squabbles.

Of course, Linux is "unix-like" as so are all the various flavors of unix, they are "unix-like" as well, which is generally (something like) a pre-emptive multitasking kernel built on top of a C compiler where user-level applications are launched from "shells" which are wrappers on top of the operating system.

That worked for 30 years and still going :wink:
There are so many things in life , that arent "bad" because they are old,
acutally it's the reverse ... like wine ... ( the one we drink :wink: )
"Old" software ... upper versions, is called very often : "mature" , "very well known" ... trustworthy ...euh ... stable ?

Well, if is another "Linux distro" I say great! This could put a light to Unix/Linux. Google brand name recognition, could do the tric and besides I do not see many penguins advertizing on TV.

---------- Post updated at 12:08 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:29 AM ----------

BTW, There was a President named Kennedy that said something like this "we do not do the things because they are easy, but because they are hard" (I do not know the exact quote...ok). That is why I got an old x86 Dell and installed Solaris 10 in it...do I know anything about UNIX? not much (maybe pwd, ls -l, ...) But why not learn it? I am a computer major and I think that all IT people should be exposed to UNIX/Linux at least once...

But, we dont because we do not recognize the product. Is it UNIX/Linux is not my friend, but my acquaintance?

I worry that, like a lot of other hyped up google products, it'll become a google thing and not a UNIX thing. Android uses Linux, but can you get to Linux in a useful way? Not particularly.

You can get to Android in a useful way.

It is simply a different model. In Android each application at the user level is Java and each each application runs under its own user id.

In the Android shell on the phone, many Linux commands work fine.

I really don't understand the FUD about Android. After all, it was only a few months ago, most all mobile phones ran only on completely proprietary OS. Now, their are open OS for mobiles and it is really up to phone manufactures to go with what works for them.

Plus, considering all this is still in its infancy, it makes no sense to toss darts at it. All these new classes of OS are evolving. I just bought the best mobile phone I have ever had. There is no doubt that my next phone will be even more powerful, full featured, etc.

Actually, my phone is "a work of art".... I look forward to Chrome on a tablet, but so far, nothing to report. I will, more-than-likely, buy a Samsung Galaxy Tab running Android 2.2 on or around Oct 22nd.

If that's Linux as I know it, then Windows is VMS.

Hooray, I can use cp. Now, what about anything important -- can one script calls, run real applications, do meaningful I/O, interact with the user, or alter any settings without the java garbage?

When a linux system has a tinkertoy SSH client, something's gone terribly wrong.