Gmail down?

Anyone else having problems in the last 20 minutes or so with Gmail?

Yes... On an off for about the last 2 hours.

heise online - Web-Frontend von Google Mail ist gest�rt (Sorry, German only, found no English news)
What they're basically saying is that Google hasn't yet said anything about why GMail is down, and that you can access your mail via imaps://imap.googlemail.com/ or pop3s://pop.googlemail.com/
To send, you can use the SMTP server at smtps://smtp.googlemail.com/ (Port 465 or 587)

Edit: Similar article on BBC

Soon after posting, I tried with www.googlemail.com and it worked. So I wonder if there was a problem with the domain name for www.gmail.com in Austria or in other parts of Europe. As some of you know, due to a German court ruling last year, Google may not use www.gmail.com to link to their email service. It's okay in Austria, however.

I had the same problem. Gmail was having problems for a long time earlier today.

hi there,

i am only having issues with the chat feature at this time...earlier was a different story as the contents of my inbox were not showing up.

The problem is reported to be due to a geo-load-balancing cascading effect from the failure of some maintenance process at a European hosting facility. Once the update failed, the other data centers tried to pick up the load, but failed, causing more and more data centers to try to pick up the load and fail... etc.

Google blames Gmail outage on data centre collapse ? The Register