Get really lazy after reaching 70% of udemy courses(nginx and bash atm)

i get super lazy once I reach around 70-80% of the udemy course and stop performing my best. I study well for the first 70% of my course, but once I reach 70%, I start to feel "know it all type" and feel unchallenged. Thus reducing my motivation to learn. How do I fix this issue?

Currently doing a course on bash scripting and nginx. Can you recommend some projects to work on to make this challenging but not too challenging?

1 Like

Courses are designed for the average student. If you are aceing this one, it is up to you to make it harder (and get the most benefit from it), not to become lazy.

When you complete an assignment that will "pass", carry on with it, in pursuit of excellence:

.. Why is this question important to the overall course?

.. How else could I have met the requirement?

.. Would any of those alternatives been cleaner/faster/more adaptable to other cases?

.. How could I have avoided making the (few) bugs that I had to fix?

.. How would I have explained my thought processes to somebody who didn't see a solution?

Don't be satisfied with passing a course. Own every assignment. If you are as smart as you feel you are, you are going to be mentoring your average co-workers frequently, so that is a good skill to have.

2 Likes

Udemy have many courses but the quality for most of them is not that good and in combination with some Indian English accent I become tired so fast. The one from Lynda are different for me, I can finish most of them in a day, much higher quality, unfortunately not everything that I need. Everything depends on your motivation to finish fast or somehow each course. So, it is pretty much subjective experience.
I collected thousands of courses during the years with the intention to watch them when I have time but with the time I found it is wasting a time watching these courses. So limited information is presented and with more experience it is much better to use the help documents and books for fast reference with deeper information for each topic.

I'm Indian myself. No hate to Indians. If their course are bad, I also don't watch them. But if they're good and accent is only issue, I don't mind at all. I've tried oreilly, skillshare and udemy and I'm by far impressed with udemy than anything else due to the UI, quality of some courses(not all) etc. Udemy stands out. Oreilly comes close.

I didn't mean at all that the Indian accent makes the quality of the course. Just in Udemy I found most of the courses to be done by Indian authors and they did so many courses for the same topic that any search gives me hundreds of them. And when you have so many courses it is normal to have many of them with low quality. That makes the task to find a good very complicated. Just for me the Indian accent additionally makes the things worst because I feel my attention to become exhausted very fast in order to try to fully understand everything spoken. No recent experience because I switched to books for knowledge and googling for issues.

books are best once you reach a level of understanding imho. You don't want spoonfeeding after a certain point of time.

The question was to simply recommend some projects, since commercial courses are only a step in the right direction. OBTW, I have never taken a paid course, since I can find all I need free from Google or YT vids.

Since nginx is a web server and bash is a scripting language, I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Web developers, in general, do not write server-side code in bash. We use Javascript, PHP, Python and Ruby (to name the most popular OTTOMH).

You don't name the platform @Ihattaren, but assuming it is Linux since nginx generally runs on Linux, and since bash is not considered appropriate for coding web apps, the only viable option is to use bash to manage the administration of nginx or the management of nginx log files.

In my view, or at least at first glance, your post @Ihattaren highlights some of the problems with taking too many courses.

For example, I'm currently starting to learn XCode and SwiftUI development for the purpose of creating my first Apple watchOS app after a few years coding web apps in exclusively with Ruby on. Rails.

I already have an app in mind related to fitness based on my experience using watchOS daily while I'm in the gym.

So, what did I do?

I went to YT and watched a few videos on SwiftUI and IOS. Then, I followed a basic tutorial and coded my first tutorial app, on the same "first day". Then, I felt bored, as the app was too simple, and started thinking about how to use databases (Core Data on SwiftUI) and APIs.

Then, I watched more YT videos building more complex apps, not following along coding, but getting a "feel" for SwiftUI; learning the Swift syntax and how SwiftUI works.

That was yesterday. I have dedicated 1 to 2 hour a day to this new learning task; so I don't permit myself to become glued to sitting at my desk and forget about family and fitness and other volunteer projects.

Today, I reviewed a few more YT videos instead of watching news (more productive) during morning coffee.

Next week, I will follow a YT tutorial and write a more complex app using data and apis and install that app on my iPhone, as a learning process.

Then, I will turn my attention to watchOS in the context of the app I have in mind which will assist me in my daily workouts.

So, if there is a message in my reply to you @Ihattaren, you should work on projects which are a personal interest to you based on your lifestyle (personal) or work. The core of your learning experience should be building an app which is useful or of interest to you, not taking commercial courses, which of course can be boring very quickly.

3 Likes

I'm system admin by profession. Not a web dev though. Web dev is too tough lol.

You are almost giving me the impression that you are indirectly promoting udemy courses, by dropping their name; because all you have managed to accomplish so far, is calling out udemy as your core learning method.

If you want to become more motivated you need to make sure you are getting enough exercise and sleep as well as eating healthy foods; avoiding alcohol and tobacco, etc.
Nothing is more important to mental health than being active. The pandemic is past history, it's time to get out to the gym and participate in sports and other activities which keeps you moving and raises your base metabolism.

When your body and mind are healthy, motivation is not an issue; because the more healthy you are, the more your mind will seek out new things to do.

Anyway, as I mentioned above, you should do projects which relate to your personal or professional interests. We cannot tell you what your personal interests or professional projects should be. That's up to your situation in life because everyone has a unique situation based on their own life journey.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Idk if I can say it, but I loled hard at promoting udemy by me. I wish...I wish.

Closed