Gentoo emerge problems

Hi,

I recently switched over to Gentoo on my Zipit Z2.
When I try to install a package with emerge, I get this python error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python-exec/python3.5/emerge", line 53, in <module>
    retval = emerge_main()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/main.py", line 1289, in emerge_main
    return run_action(emerge_config)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/actions.py", line 3332, in run_action
    retval = action_build(emerge_config, spinner=spinner)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/actions.py", line 340, in action_build
    settings, trees, myopts, myparams, myaction, myfiles, spinner)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 9755, in backtrack_depgraph
    myaction, myfiles, spinner)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 9792, in _backtrack_depgraph
    success, favorites = mydepgraph.select_files(myfiles)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 3937, in select_files
    return self._select_files(args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 3946, in _select_files
    self._load_vdb()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 670, in _load_vdb
    scheduler.start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AsynchronousTask.py", line 30, in start
    self._start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/portage/util/_async/AsyncScheduler.py", line 90, in _start
    self._schedule()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/PollScheduler.py", line 154, in _schedule
    self._schedule_tasks()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/portage/util/_async/AsyncScheduler.py", line 66, in _schedule_tasks
    task.start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AsynchronousTask.py", line 30, in start
    self._start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/EbuildMetadataPhase.py", line 59, in _start
    self._async_wait()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AbstractPollTask.py", line 105, in _async_wait
    self._unregister()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/EbuildMetadataPhase.py", line 147, in _unregister
    self.scheduler.remove_reader(self._files.ebuild)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ebuild'

Not sure what ot make of it. Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong, or lead me in the right direction on this?

TIA.

@ignatius ,
what's the command line you ran (why would you not include that ?)

Which version of Gentoo are you running ?

Had you successfully installed any other packages previously to whatever you are trying to do now? (using the same tools/versions-of-those)

I ran emerge nano.
How do I tell which version it is? I have no idea.
No, I haven't succesfully installed anything on it.

Thanks.

@ignatius ,

Am pretty sure python3.5.x is EOL (go to the python site to confirm if need be)
I think you probably need to upgrade various tools (portage/emerge/python) in whatever gentoo release you are on.

cat /etc/gentoo-release

emerge --version
python3 --version

You will also benefit greatly by taking the time to read background documentation (even just summary info) about the OS , tools you are intending/expecting to use.

PS: You may be best served by asking the gentoo community about this

ghost / # cat /etc/gentoo-release
Gentoo Base System release 2.6
ghost / # emerge --version
Portage 2.3.40 (python 3.5.5-final-0, default/linux/arm/17.0/armv5te, gcc-7.3.0, glibc-2.27-r3, 6.1.0-18-amd64 armv7l)
ghost / # python3 --version
Python 3.5.5
ghost / #

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_Gentoo discusses updating packages , you may want to investigate ..

again, there's active gentoo forums https://forums.gentoo.org/ that may serve you better.

@ignatius what is the full output when you run emerge -p app-editors/nano os root or via sudo?

Are you able to emerge anything else? I see that emerge does run at least enough to give you a version. Maybe the problem is related to the app-editors/nano ebuild that you're using.

If emerge is truly broken and won't emerge anything, then fixing it is going to be really annoying <-> tough. As in you might need to copy enough to fix emerge from another system or restore from backup. emerge is the tool used on Gentoo to install just about everything, even newer versions of emerge.

I get the same error.

Are you able to emerge anything else? I see that emerge does run at least enough to give you a version. Maybe the problem is related to the app-editors/nano ebuild that you're using.

No, i'm not able to emerge anything.

ghost / # emerge -p app-editors/nano

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python-exec/python3.5/emerge", line 53, in <module>
    retval = emerge_main()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/main.py", line 1289, in emerge_main
    return run_action(emerge_config)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/actions.py", line 3332, in run_action
    retval = action_build(emerge_config, spinner=spinner)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/actions.py", line 340, in action_build
    settings, trees, myopts, myparams, myaction, myfiles, spinner)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 9755, in backtrack_depgraph
    myaction, myfiles, spinner)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 9792, in _backtrack_depgraph
    success, favorites = mydepgraph.select_files(myfiles)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 3937, in select_files
    return self._select_files(args)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 3946, in _select_files
    self._load_vdb()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/depgraph.py", line 670, in _load_vdb
    scheduler.start()
    self._start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/portage/util/_async/AsyncScheduler.py", line 90, in _start
    self._schedule()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/PollScheduler.py", line 154, in _schedule
    self._schedule_tasks()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/portage/util/_async/AsyncScheduler.py", line 66, in _schedule_tasks
    task.start()
    self._start()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/EbuildMetadataPhase.py", line 59, in _start
    self._async_wait()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AbstractPollTask.py", line 105, in _async_wait
    self._unregister()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/EbuildMetadataPhase.py", line 147, in _unregister
    self.scheduler.remove_reader(self._files.ebuild)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ebuild'

Thank you for your help.

What have you tried to do to fix the problem?

Searching for AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'ebuild' has a fair number of hits, some from within the last 18 months.

When did you last do an emerge --sync?

Aside: As others have suggested, asking in Gentoo forums / mailing list is probably going to get the fastest and most targeted response.

Sadly, emerge --sync doesn't complete.

It keeps iterating:

OpenPGP keyring refresh failed:
gpg: refreshing 4 keys from hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net
gpg: keyserver refresh failed: Server indicated a failure

When did you last sync?

It sort of seems like you're fairly out of date.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but usually means that getting back up to date is going to be more work.

The only way I have been able to sync
is with emerge-webrsync

Any idea what the up-to-date key server is?
Obviously, hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net doesn't work.

My /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf file has the following:

[DEFAULT]
main-repo = gentoo

[gentoo]
location = /var/db/repos/gentoo
sync-type = rsync
sync-uri = rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
auto-sync = yes
sync-rsync-verify-jobs = 1
sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest = yes
sync-rsync-verify-max-age = 24
sync-openpgp-key-path = /usr/share/openpgp-keys/gentoo-release.asc
sync-openpgp-keyserver = hkps://keys.gentoo.org
sync-openpgp-key-refresh-retry-count = 40
sync-openpgp-key-refresh-retry-overall-timeout = 1200
sync-openpgp-key-refresh-retry-delay-exp-base = 2
sync-openpgp-key-refresh-retry-delay-max = 60
sync-openpgp-key-refresh-retry-delay-mult = 4
sync-webrsync-verify-signature = yes

The following thread seems germane: Gentoo Forums :: View topic - refreshing 4 keys from hkps://hkps.pool.sks-keyservers.net

When was the last time the system was updated?

My system is about 90 days out of date (I've been busy with work) and my versions seem quite a bit newer than yours.

% cat /etc/gentoo-release
Gentoo Base System release 2.14

% emerge --version
Portage 3.0.57 (python 3.11.6-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.1, gcc-13, glibc-2.37-r7, 6.1.67-gentoo-x86_64-test x86_64)

% python3 --version
Python 3.11.6

N.B. bringing a way out of date Gentoo system up to current can end up being more work than a fresh install.

And that's presuming that you have a working tool chain; emerge and friends.

I've successfully brought systems forward about 400 - 500 days. But that took a LOT of work and a LOT of CPU time.

I basically leveraged git version of portage and created tags / branches at restore points for each day in the 400-500 day range and automated the process of going one day at a time. -- I think one system took about three weeks to come forward almost 500 days.

Once you are far enough out of date getting the files that you need to install become problematic. That threshold makes things an order of magnitude harder.

This install was waay back in 2018...
What makes it special, is that it runs on a Zipit Z2 (google it).

Has it been updated since then?

Even if it was late December of '18, that's five plus years of updates.

And it looks like the Zipit Z2 is -- what I'll call -- a low power / low performance device when it comes to compiling 5+ years worth of updates.

I have done some crazy things / am thinking about doing some other crazy things for purely academic reasons. But nearly 2000 days worth of updates on a low power / low performance device, that may be asking too much. I know that it's going to be something between really annoying and problematic to get distfiles for things that long ago. At least down to the hash matching files.

I would seriously explore other options to get this device current.

@ignatius , is this the same Zipit Z2 that you had issues previously with the OS being out of date etc - , it looks like nothing has changed since then and you are just recycling questions under differing guises , i'm done wasting my time on this.

Sep 2022 - Snapd issues

Feb 2023 - Gentoo LInux emerge --sync problems

It seems you've made no attempts to do fresh install (or if have and they've also failed)