Five Months Later: Adventures in 3D Printing for Beginners - The Thrill is Gone!

It's been a long time since I posted about 3D printing, so let me update any (if any) interested beginners who stumble upon these posts with some lesson learned and best practices:

Print from the SD Card

For reasons 3D printer experts can explain better than me, printing directly from the SD card provides much higher quality prints than printing over a USB cable, especially using OctoPrint. The reason seems to be related to buffering and flow control as the GCODE streams from OctoPrint over USB to the printer.

The Death of OctoPrint

The bottom line is that I've totally stopping using OctoPrint and only print from my SD card. The print quality is better.

In addition, the software architecture of OctoPrint is really bad. After writing a few OctoPrint plugins, I realized what a --* OctoPrint is.

Without getting into any specific details; let me just say that I'll soon be deleting OctoPrint from my development machine with glee.

Recalibrate When Changing Filament

One thing I noticed, which seems obvious now, is that each roll of filament has it's on particular quirks and quality.

For the last few months, I have been primarily printing with PLA-Silky in both Red Copper (low poly vases) and Silver-Gray (low poly vases and bathroom fixtures). Two rolls of PLA from the same manufactures print differently. So, it's always best to calibrate when changing filament.

Rafts Waste Time and Material

Don't get me wrong, I like printing on rafts. Printing on rafts result in beautiful "print plate" finishes compared to printing directly on the build plate.

However, rafts take time to print and use a lot of plastic; so I now avoid them unless I need the "extra beauty" on the side of the model which attaches to the build plate.

3D Printing Has Become Routine

Before, I was very excited about 3D printing; but now it it become "just another tool" like any other tool or device. I'm no more excited about 3D printing now that I am about my orbital sander or cordless drill. Designing and printing models as required has become routine. The thrill is gone. If I had to choose between my microwave oven and my 3D printer, I would toss out the microwave. I use my 3D printer, routinely, more than my microwave. Not sure my wife would agree!

3D Printing Is Overhyped

I've stopped watching YT videos on 3D printing. The "big names" on YT all eventually become controlled by their sponsors. Money rules all channels once they get the attention of sponsors. I've moved on.

The Bottom Line

3D printing has become routine. It's not boring anymore than using my power tools are boring. We create models and print them as we need them. We print beautiful, shiny low poly vases and give them away as gifts. We create functional parts as required when we cannot buy them easily, quickly and cheaply. We design and print models for friends when they need a helping hand.

People in my area seem amazed I even have 3D printer. It's funny. For me, 3D printing is just another tool in the toolbox; but for most people I meet, 3D printing still a kind of mystery. Five months after assembling my printer, the trill is gone; but I would definitely buy another one if this one become unusable or obsolete.

The thrill has gone away :frowning:

TODO

Definitely should improve my Fusion 360 modeling skills (which are very crude and basic)... maybe .... someday.

4 Likes

@Neo, thanks for that. Like many things the chase is more fun that the kills (or upon reflection at least) any photos of items you've made ?

Hi @munkeHoller

I'm two months behind on taking pictures of 3D prints, busy refinishing teak hardwood floors, entertaining guests, and lots of other fun stuff.

The last update to my Thingiverse page was 19 November 2021.

Here is a 3D Benchy I printed with Red Copper Silky PLA, photographed and posted the the same FB group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1549870305341546/?multi_permalinks=3010786289249933

Will update Thingiverse with some of the latest makes soon; have been spending a lot less time on the Internet lately, a cornerstone of my goals for 2022.

• Less Internet News
  • Less Current Events YT Videos
  • Less Social Media and Sharing
  • Less Daily Stock Portfolio Tracking
  • More Open Water Swimming
  • More Time with Family
  • More DIY Woodworking and other "Non-Tech" Home Projects
  • More Art and Culture, Less Technology

I often wonder if other people set overall goals for the coming year like this?

The trouble with the Internet is we cannot live without but at the same time, it has become such a cesspool. LinkedIn has become "Meme City" where our timelines are all full of goofy memes and silly posts from "influencers". LinkedIn is worse than FB now. The world has gone mad!

Printed this low poly vase (many different versions and sizes) a few months ago....

Printed this one in silky "silver-gray" a few weeks ago:

We are using this vase to root some aloe vera plants in water, as these vases hold water very well (unlike many PLA prints).

1 Like

Turning from artistic and beautiful to functional and boring, I printed these spacers (a few days ago) to go behind the supply values in our bathrooms to fill a 10mm gap left by plumbers year ago.

They look much better than in the photos and solved a small problem left by the plumbers (a gap between the chrome ring and the tile). It's easy to fix these kind of problems with a 3D printer. Did not want to unseat and remove the values, so i just split the spacers in half and glued them together until such time I decide to replace the supplies:

These actually look good when viewed normally in the bathroom, not in a closeup.

Along the same lines as functional and simple, yesterday I printed these two-sided hooks to hang my swimming gear (and clothing, towels, etc) in the shower (10mm glass) when I prepare for, or return from, an ocean swim:

Originally printed these hooks in black PLA a few months, but decided to change them to this color to better match the chrome, after printing a bunch of other things using this same silver-gray silky PLA.

Nothing to brag about, just a small detail which makes swimming easier and keeps the bathroom organized better.

Footnotes:

We are slowly hand-sanding and refinishing our 18mm thick teak-wood parquet floors, so I also printed some adapters to connect a DeWalt random orbital sander to our vacuum to help keep the dust out of the condo. Those adapters are not for sale here, so I bought some plastic flexible tubing and printed two adapters I quickly modeled in Fusion 360.

Last week I printed a blank cover for our maintenance team who wanted to cover a blank button hole in the elevator control panel because the Hitachi parts are too weak and are easily broken. So, I'm also the local "go-to" guy for these kinds of functional prints for our building engineer.

1 Like

thanks, love the vases !!!

1 Like

Those vases make nice gifts!