firewalls and proxys

what can I use to find out whether a computer has a firewall or proxy??? What can I use do erase it?

Is this a UNIX box? or Linux? What is it used for ? Are you asking how to erase just that particular function? Give us more info......

Keep in mind, this is not a Unix Cracking QA center...
I appologize if I have you pegged wrong, but I have a special dislike for script kiddies...

Your first two posts here were about password cracking software, now you want to disable a firewall remotely?

Bah!

actually, I just want to change the firewall a little bit..you see, our school made it to where we can't do certain things and one of them they had no reason for it. I dont know if its unix or linux. Thats what I want to find out. I dont want to erase it.

Then take it up with the admin. You'll score no bonus points by trying to subvert security... It may have a very valid reason you don't understand.

For example, it may not make sense to some users they they can't listen to streaming music while they work here, but on the admin end of it, streaming music (clients and servers) saturates our T-1s, causing a business impact.

LivinFree, thanks for your posts. Your are absolutely right. Much appreciated! -Neo