Does a router act as a bridge?

I want to bridge the WiFi connection on my laptop to the wired connection of the same device. I tried just connecting to the WiFi and running the wired connection into a gigabyte switch then I ran a connection from the gigabyte switch to the other device. While the gigabyte switch lights are green (which I believe indicates connectivity) I keep getting a popup here on the laptop that says the hardwired connection has failed.

So my question is do I need to feed the wired connection into a router? Will this bridge the connections for me? I tried pinging the address of the device I am attempting to bridge to but while it pinged it the first time it just stopped after that.

Essentially, I need to be able to ssh into the device that will be sharing my laptops internet connection as though it were simply another device plugged into the WiFi.

Hey @Circuits

Thanks for description in words.

It might be easier to help you if you draw the configuration and upload the picture.

A picture says a thousand words, as they say :slight_smile:

Thanks.

@circuits, well I've read your post several times but, like @neo, I cannot figure out what you are trying to achieve. Yes, a diagram would really help but also as a minimum I have these questions:

• Your laptop runs what operating system and what version of O/S?

• You want to 'bridge' two network interfaces, one cable and one wi-fi on this laptop. A 'bridge' is usually used in the context of connecting two networks. Is that the context in which you are using the word 'bridge'? Yes, some OS's allow the configuration of a bridge between two of it's interfaces.

• You have a second device which will use the bridge. What is that device and what network interfaces does it have? What OS, if any, does it run?

• Why isn't that second device connecting directly to your router?????????

Your thread title "Does a router act as a bridge?"; yes, most of us use a router as a 'bridge' between our LAN and the internet.

Please clarify in detail the game plan here. Until you do, I'm lost!!

2 Likes

So in general, this is my problem. When I program this console I have two static IPs setup. One is for this machine (laptop) and the other is for the console. The problem, is that I can't be online when I do this. I have the Ethernet port for the console tied directly to the Ethernet port of my laptop.

Basically I am trying to figure out a way to connect to my wifi, vpn, and still be able to program this console all at the same time. I thought perhaps what I needed was a router setup like so:

Wifi -> laptop -> router -> console

but, I am not sure if that would help. Like I said, I just want to be able to stay online (wifi + vpn), and program my console simultaneously.

That is still about as clear as mud.

Tell us whether each of these statements is true.............

Your laptop connects to your router (and therefore to the internet) via wi-fi?

Your laptop gets it's wi-fi ip address from the router through DHCP?

You program your console using your laptop? If so, what program do you use for that?

Your console only has a RJ45 cable connection?

You are trying to use a RJ45 ethernet cable connection from your laptop (would need to be a crossover cable or via a hub) to your console to program it, and at the same time, use a wi-fi connection from the laptop to the internet?

Is all the above correct?

Repeat, what OS is the laptop running??????????????????????????????

S1) True
S2) True
S3) True, and we have a custom program that flash installs the kernel with uboot.
S4) True
S5) True

The laptop is running Ubuntu 18.04. When the wifi is on I can't ping the console from the laptop or vice versa, and that's what I would like to change... somehow.

On that basis and assuming I've got the full picture I'm going to have a stab at this. Absolutely no warranties or guarantees!

I think your problem is the ip addressing that you are using.

You need to create TWO networks. Without two networks and two different addressing schemes (Two Class C address schemes), your laptop cannot differentiate the routes to be taken and therefore doesn't know where the hell to send what connection request.

So, for example only (not necessarily using these specific ip addresses, change them to suit).....

Say the router has an ip address of 192.168.1.1 and serves DHCP addresses in the range 192.168.1.64 thru' 192.168.1.120. Router also supplies DNS server information to clients.

1. You configure your laptop wi-fi interface to dynamically get (via DHCP) it's ip address, DNS server(s), and configure it's default gateway as 192.168.1.1 (the router).

Now you need another network that goes to your console.

1. You configure your laptop RJ45 cable interface with a static ip address of 172.100.1.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and no default gateway. You set the console static ip address to 172.100.1.2 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0).

So now your laptop should know that a connection request to 192.168.1.x goes over its wi-fi interface to other devices connected to your router (ie, your LAN). A connection request to x.x.x.x goes over its wi-fi interface to the default router at 192.168.1.1 (your router) unless it's to 172.100.1.x in which case it goes via its RJ45 interface. So you should now be able to ping 192.168.1.1 (the router) and 172.100.1.2 (the console) at the same time.

You might need to choose your two network addressing schemes to suit your use but I hope that relays my thoughts clearly.

Other members on here may chime in with other ideas.

This is a basic setup.

My development mac pro is connected with both WIFI and LAN cable to my WIFI hub.

Works flawlessly.

Honestly, I have read or skimmed most of the posts and replies and I cannot understand what the problem is.

When @Circuits says:

What laptop? What software? What operating system?

Normally a "gigabyte switch" does not have WIFI, but it is impossible to know because you @Circuits did not provide the exact model number.

Technology and configurations are based on technical details.

How to you @Circuits expect to get help from seasoned professionals asking such an abstract question with almost no technical details ?

Details matter. Guessing and mind-reading is not how most technical people work or operate. You are basically asking us to make wild guesses based on an abstract questions with almost no technical details.

To answer this question:

Does a router act as a bridge?

Simply provide the model number of the device and it should be easy to provide an answer :slight_smile: All devices are not created equal :slight_smile:

Sorry, I am confused why anyone looking for technical help would ask such an abstract question while providing almost no technical details about any device or configuration. :confused:

Forgive me for being honest. Details matter. Honestly.

I did create a static IP for the laptop and for the console which are separate from the IP of the WIFI. However, for some reason I still can't ping the console from the laptop unless I turn the WIFI off. Perhaps I need to log onto the modem and make some kind of change to the protocols there? Just to make sure we are on the same page I came up with a crude diagram of my setup where the arrows are indicative of a cat6 cable:

It still looks like the problem is your laptop network configuration. If configured correctly the laptop should know that the quickest route to the console is via its RJ45 cable interface but for everything else it should send via its wi-fi interface.

If the console cannot ping the laptop then there's a problem. As I said in my previous post the laptop should know where to route to reach specific ip addresses.

I suggest you de-configure the wi-fi interface and get the communication between laptop on console working (ping both ways) first. When you then configure the wi-fi and default router keep testing the ping between laptop and console. It should not stop working.

BTW, what static ip addresses are you using for RJ45 interface and console?