Do You Use Twitter?

Do you use Twitter? How much do you use Twitter?

Vote and Discuss!!

To be honest, I didn't even know what Twitter was until reading the RSS feed (Geek & Poke cartoon) about @Oprah...

I'm weird...I dislike it when people know what I'm doing...so I don't ever intend to have a Twitter account :slight_smile:

I was watching Larry King the other day and Jimmy Fallon, Ashton Kutcher and Puff Daddy (or whatever the hell he calls himself nowadays) was on and they were talking about Twitter I think...and then Larry King said he had a Twitter account as did Oprah and then there was talk that Barrack Obama would probably start using it too.

I first learned about Twitter from a computer geek friend last year, but for months, I didn't get it and thought nothing of it. I then followed him a while and saw that his posts were mostly about computers, so I started participating. Now I follow people who have mostly similar interests to mine and I also follow some news sources. I would say about 90% of the tweets I follow are professional and not personal. If people post too much about themselves or tweet too many times, say more than 10 times a day, I no longer follow them. It seems like just in the last few months the mainstream media is falling over themselves to talk about Twitter and that is annoying, but in my case, I use it as a tool to learn more about computers.

No one (except my wife) needs to know that much about my life. We're slowly letting technology invade our privacy under the guise of "social networking"

Twitter is NOT just for posting what you are doing.

I use it to keep track of News, Events and other items or people im interested in.

When there is Breaking News on CNN they send it out as a tweet and it goes directly to my Phone as a text message.

You can also make your "Tweets" private to only those people you allow to follow your tweets. So you can create an account for you your spouse and your kids. And you can send one text message from your phone and it can automatically goto all your family and/or friends.

I really cannot think of a use for it relevant to me.

Yeah i have a twitter account but i use them rarely no time to follow them my job xxxx me out,,,,]

I visited twitter's home page a few days ago out of curiosity. I don't want to take the time to do it and don't feel the need to broadcast what I'm doing at any given moment.

To be honest, I absolutely don't see the point in it!

I mean, what is the point in it?

Twitter and Tweet are already in the dictionary. Google is too, but only thanks to Google:

Main Entry:   google2  Part of Speech:   v  Definition:   to search for
information on the Internet, esp. using  the Google search engine Example:   
We googled to find the definition of the new  word.
Etymology:   trademark Google  Usage:   googling n

It'd a fad (-noun: a temporary fashion, notion, manner of conduct, etc., esp. one followed enthusiastically by a group.)

But one which has no doubt made someone a lot of money.

We must be in the wrong business!

I don't know what is twitter, so no account and so no login.

Happy ! :wink:

I have it, but rarely use it,
still try to figure it out how to utilize it

I do not use Twitter. I am sad to report that I got sucked into facebook, though.

Don't have twitter, don't follow anyone's twits (is that what you call them? :wink: )

My previous employer got over enthusiastic in blocking twitter after all that 'steal company secrets via twitter!' rubbish hit the headlines. After they had had a go at the proxy, even a google search for "twittering birds" would be blocked!

I've managed to avoid the lure of facebook, but use linkedin (unix.com is to blame for that actually, I'd never even heard of linkedin before I got the invite to join the unix group).

The only reason I might look at twitter is if I can use it for something more interesting. I'm wondering about using it as a transport mechanism for announcing detectable events - like make a trainspotting twitter - no I have zero interest in trainspotting but making a magic box that sits beside a track somewhere & photographs passing trains and twits/tweets/twats (whatever it is) the snap would be a fun project.

Hmm, actually that might just end up with the bomb squad blowing up my 'suspicious' project then arresting me as a terrorist... Maybe something else then...

I don't know of any real use for it

How times have changed. Didn't we use to do that with floppy disks, and green-and-white-stripey dot matrix print-outs?

I think a lot of tweeple would twack that tweet, especially twain spotters, obviouwously.

<groan> heh heh

Twitter, and the way it has been promoted by CNN, to prepare for an IPO, is a good example of market manipulation, and a lot of what is wrong with the US today.

Basically, the media got behind Twitter and they have hyped it at every opportunity, in order to financially benefit from an IPO. This is modern day capitalism at it's best (or rather it's worst!).

Cheers.

Twitter is a great way for me to passively receive updates about any topic in which I'm interested. I currently follow a couple freelance tech journalists and some friends. The accounts I follow push out so many RT's it is more than sufficient to direct me toward 5-10 interesting articles per day.

In effect, I use twitter like a personalized, moderated, and often comically enhanced RSS tool.

For convenience, I use Twhirl, and post my own fb updates thru it too.

finally, i use twitter to send broadcast message to my community :smiley: