Do you believe in fate?

Time for a poll rather descriptive poll. Please vote and in add in your comments. :smiley:

Not me!

How descriptive do you need? "no" seems sufficient to me.

Maybe he meant "fate" as in "genetics" ... For example, if you have a defective gene that "leads" to cancer, then maybe someone might call it "fate" .... But even then, "fate" might be avoided by understanding the risk and making appropriate lifestyle changes.

So, a simple "no" pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

Well that's an open ended question. You could be as descriptive as needed, that you think will be sufficient to make others understand your view point about fate. :smiley:

No!! I feel at times, When people goof-up, "fate" is an excuse which people give to themselves to make them feel better.

Guru.

you will think differently when you get hit by a bus tomorrow :smiley:

Random events, accidents and choices are not "fate" LOL

if you believe in fate then nothing is random, not even /dev/random or /dev/urandom :wink:

Good point!

Anyway... a "belief" in "fate" depends on how you define these terms.

I believe in fate , also i feel that to some extent we can control our fate by our attitude and work.

I don't believe in it but some call it a fate or even a punishment....

Careful! Please don't discuss God and religion, thanks!

If you believe in fate as in being a supernatural influence, then it should be written with a capital as in Fate. The way the classical Romans did it.

I believe in coincidence, which some call fate in hindsight, although coincidence will be predetermined if time turns out to be the 4th dimension after all... :smiley:

I don't believe in fate, as I think it's an concept exclusive to free will. Also, many people use "Fate" as an excuse for things they are unwilling to change, eg. "I don't think I'll get promoted, but that's just fate".

How is this not fate??

Segway tycoon Jimi Heselden dies in cliff plunge on one of his own scooters | Mail Online

Counter: How exactly was that fate, something inevitable? For all we knew he could have rode that path every day, and knew it well. He rode a special Segway made for off-road driving, and the system itself had been tested. I, for one, do not see anything inevitable about this accident.

counter back: I think your over analyzing it. The fact that he was off-road or a cliff is not relevant.

Of course this was not fate!

He made the choice to buy that company. He made a choice to ride and to do every step that he did, including riding that device on the tragic day.

When a person buys a car, for example, it is not "fate" they will die in a car accident; however, their risk increases. Then, when they get behind the wheel and drive the car while drunk on alcohol, or high on drugs, it is not "fate" that gets them killed behind the wheel, it is choice and cause and effect. They choose to own/drive a car. They choose to drink and drive. They made choices in life that led to their own death.

The same for Jimi Heselden and everyone else in the world!