dns setup

ok, i've seen a thread similar to this going, but it just seemed to die before any answer surfaced, so -- here i go.

got a sparc 4 running solaris 8 and i'm trying to get my tcp/ip connectivity going. everything is cool so far, i can hit sites via IP addresses -- but can't resolve any domain names.

any help will be appreciated!

Does the following thread not work for you?

ah, thanks neo. it certaintly did.

something a little easier and less time consuming that editing all of those files and ensuring you have typed everything in there correctly, running sys-unconfig allows you to select dns. all you would need would be the domain name and the dns server(s) ip's. Even though this wipes out your current network configuration, you have the opportunity to re-input it during this process with no problem.

Editing files step-by-step is good for learning and helps folks understand what they are doing.

Often, people run scripts, not understanding the details, and do more harm than good. Most good admins are more comforable with step-by-step processes; but will use more complex scripting rarely vs. automatically.

Most shortcuts, in the woods, at sea, or on IT platforms are more dangerous than step-by-step, careful planning. Therefore, the advise to 'just save time by running a script' is well intended, but done not come without cost and risk.

it's a point well taken, and I agree. When I teach Solaris Admin (I am a Certified Sun Instructor), I teach them command line stuff even though the same things could possibly be done through a GUI.

However, I posted what I did because after 14 some odd years of Unix work, I like the path of least resistance. I also posted what I did simply because of this simple fact: even though editing by hand fosters the learning process, if one is not familiar with vi or any of the other editing tools then they are hosed anyway.

What I personally would recommend would be for the individual to use both methods (editing files then using a script) just to see not only the differences between the two methods but also how both methods accomplish the same task.

But first, I would have done what my former supervisor used to do to me any time I had a question: "Read the man page.":slight_smile: