DNS Help - Been trying to do this for months

Ok someone has to be able to help me here.

I have the latest webmin, and i have bind

i have a domain name called

thedigitaldream.co.uk

i have one server, just one as im poor

so the one server is gunna be the dns, email, web and ftp server. Its only for a small site anyway so it will be fine

Right, i have set the hostname of the machine to srv1

i have created a master record using webmin and this is what i typed :

domain name/network : thedigitaldream.co.uk
Master Server : srv1.thedigitaldream.co.uk

ok so is this correct so far???

now then, i know you have to create address records for that master record. but what do i type there. all i want is so that my domain name loads my site, thats it, thats all i want.

so i have created the master record, which i think i have done right. so what do i need to create in address records to get it to work???

please i really want this to work, its been months and i have had the domain since june the 7th and thats how long i have been trying to do this

so please, someone must be able to help me, i have searched google loads, i was on google for about 5 hours straight one day, but nothing

What version of BIND are you running?

Have you registered your name server as the primary and secondary name server for you domain? (when registering you will need to register a primary and secondary nameserver - but these can be the same machine). The people whom you bought your domain from will be able to help changing the nameserver registration for your domain.

Have you setup /etc/named.conf? If so can you post the contents here.

yer i have given the details to my registrar

thats all done, but i just need to setup dns but i cant do it, and i am using webmin to do it

there is no point in me posting the contents of the files, cos i havent set it up at all, thats what i need help with

i have webmin, and i just want someone to help me with it as i just connot find any tutorials out there to help me with it, i've been looking for like 3 months

is there not anyone who can help me, im begging, as i have had a domain name for months and i want to use it.

People are trying to help you... You don't need to beg, just answer their questions and post details.

First of all, what is your domain? and the IP addresses and names of your nameservers?

A lookup of mx records for thedigitaldream.co.uk shows the following:

> set type=mx
> thedigitaldream.co.uk
Server: which1.mydomain.com
Address: 10.14.1.20

thedigitaldream.co.uk preference = 10, mail exchanger = thedigitaldream.co.uk

thedigitaldream.co.uk internet address = 81.97.225.82

But it doesn't show the correct nameserver(s). It shows root servers instead of his nameserver(s) (although that may be a problem on my side - someone changed my ARIN DB nameservers ).

If that is his server, it also doesn't allow smtp (connection refused).

yer i am using dns forwarding at the moment, so that isn't my dns server, its the company that is suppying it.

ok the hostname of my server is srv1

the ip address is 81.97.225.82

nothing has been setup yet cos im completly lost as to what i am meant to do

i have created a forward master zone.

for the domain name i typed thedigitaldream.co.uk

and for the name server i wrote srv1.thedigitaldream.co.uk

that is all i have done to far. im lost now, what do i create in addresses???

First, I would suggest you go and pick up the book, DNS & Bind .

Second, look through the archive at Mr. DNS (I would not suggest actually asking Mr. DNS anything if you haven't read the book).

Third, post what you DO have in your named.conf and any db files. This way those of us helping can check the syntax of what you entered...many times that is all that is holding up DNS from working.

yer but this is what i mean, does that book show you how to setup bind with webmin control panel???

if not then its useless, because webmin is what i want to use

there is no point in me showing you the contents of the files as i havent created any records yet, thats what i mean

i dont know what to type in for address records, name server records, etc, because im clueless

i just want to know what to type in the address records and mx records. cant anyone tell me using the information i have given you about the server setup?

Oh, you want the simple answer.

Since you only have the one IP address, and the one system, you should use that IP for all records.

IN   NS   srv1.thedigitaldream.com.
    IN   MX   srv1.thedigitaldream.com.

srv1 IN A 81.97.225.82

If you use different names for the same server ( to separate your different services) add CNAMEs for them.

webmail IN CNAME srv1.thedigitaldream.com.
ftp IN CNAME srv1.thedigitaldream.com.

How this goes into webmin I have no idea but you should since you read the documentation - I looked at it quickly and it seems to have all the answers webmin

OK, DNS seems to be OK....

So, you simply want to set up your resolver on your machine.

First, stop trying to do everything with WEBADMIN and learn to do simple things from the command line with a simple editor.

Second, can you verify your computer is properly on the network and can reach the Internet? I can't ping it:

Resolver will not work if you can't reach your nameserver; so execute this command from your server:

traceroute 81.97.225.82 and cut and paste the results.

Or try:

ping 81.97.225.82

and paste your results.....

Please, no replies like... 'you must use webadmin'... !!! First, you need to learn to troubleshoot your network from the command line.

yer but there is nothing to troubleshoot

see i dont think you understand me

at the moment there is no dns server running on my server. A company is supplying the dns forwarding for me. The company is called dns2go

so there is no point in u doing traces and pings because i havent even started up bind yet.

the only thing im asking is what records to make like what address records, what mx records etc

once i got bind working, i will start up bind, and then i will point my domain name to my dns server, not the companies dns server.

the reason im asking is because i got to have dns working before i point the domain to my dns server, otherwise my site will go down

right ok i have started to create forward and reverse zones.

trhis is what i typed for each, please click the links below :

Forward Master Zone
Reverse Master Zone

The server has an internet ip address of 192.168.0.1 so thats why i used that ip address for the reverse zone, is that correct?

Please tell me if these are correct so far

I just downloaded, unpacked, extracted, and set up webmin on my workstation. Nice little package but you really need to know how DNS works so you know what button to click.

Opinion - build your own - then use webmin. You will be better off in the long run.

But, since most don't care to do that, you need to add your IP address in the Existing DNS ZonesAddresses & Topology window. Click the A button and add it (if it isn't there). Then you need to add the reverse lookup (click the PT window/button)

This package throws everything into one file - I would not want to try to troubleshoot this if the webmin package ever screwed up (which any interface will no matter how well written).

And it hates it when you change defaults....tends to not work.

But I can see a use for it in some places...when a person is on the road and wants a GUI interface (or in this case a web browser interface).

Just saw your response - looks okay so far - now go into the Existing DNS Zones (at the bottom of the window after clicking Bind from main window) and click on your dns zone master. Then you start adding A records, PTR, ...

ok this is what i have got for Addresses and topology:

click here

this is what i got in my address records :

click here

this is what i have for my Name Server Records :

click here

and this is what i have for my mx record :

click here

are these correct. if not can you tell or show me what they should be like

also is there anything else to add?

thanx

You would need to have the reverse lookup completed also.

There should be a button to click to show the data in the database (*.hosts and *.rev). If you can post that OR cat the files and post them, then anyone with DNS experience could tell you if it's correct.

The files should be in the directory that you set as the default for starting bind (at least that is where webmin put mine ).