DNS daemons

Does anyone know the command to start the DNS Daemon.

I looked in the /etc/init.d/inetsvc file and it tells me what the text should look like. When I go to open the corresponding files they are encoded and I can't read them.

So is there a command that will start the DNS daemon?

If not how do I get around or through the encoding problem?

The standard name of the DNS daemon is named.

I don't understand what you meant by that? Please explain.

I don't know what platform you are on, but on Solaris, named or in.named automatically starts if it finds the /etc/named.boot file.

This is a configuration file for DNS services on the machine.

The man pages for named should provide some information. Or you can go to http://www.bind.org/ for information too.

named

If you have everything configured already, just call the named binary and it will start ("named" or "in.named" usually does the trick depending on your platform/version you're running )

Do
find / -named -print

lets say it found it in /usr/sbin/named

then type
/usr/sbin/named

Shimb0

Slight correction there....

find / -name named -print

:wink:

Hi! There is a security problem with some versions of the name daemon, in some cases this daemon gives root access to someone which uses an exploit remotely. To avoid such things you must start bind in a sandbox, chrooted, or as a user which does not have high priviledhes in the system. so, the command line becomes [for most systems]:
# named -u daemon
For a FreeBSD machine the command line is
# named -u bind -g bind if you changed /etc/rc.conf and have specified named_flags="-u bind -g bind" and if you have specified to start the named at boot time with the following line in /etc/rc.conf: named_enable="YES", and in the /etc/named.conf you should specify that the directory is /etc/namedb.