Disk Size

This should have been easy but something seems out of whack. On SCO 5.0.6 I set up a system with 8 striped 38 MB drives. That should give me somewhere around 308 MB of disk space on the root drive. My df -v gives me 70,000,000 blocks. At 1/2 K per block I get 35,000,000 bytes, about the size of one drive. I've been in the controller setup many times and it shows all drives stripes and all drive lights light up during a read or write.

@JohnAbrams , welcome , we hope you find the forum friendly and educational.

check out

Hello,

If you're seeing one logical drive that's the same size as the individual physical drives that are its members, and you're seeing reads/writes on all physical drives when using the logical drive, then it sounds like all your physical drives are in a single RAID 1-style logical drive. In other words: your setup is mirroring-based, rather than striped. That's what it sounds like anyway, based on the behaviour you're reporting.

1 Like

I'm seeing the one logical drive that I set up. The point is I'm only seeing about half of it I think. Basically I've forgotten enough SCO to forget how to go from blocks to MB . I need someone to double check my figures. df -t says 28367588 blocks. What's that in MB?

Hello,

That depends on your block size, really. Your filesystem would have been created with a fixed block size when it was initialised, and that block size would determine what the free block count corresponds to in bytes.

I believe SCO OpenServer should support the -k flag to df, and if so that will give you effective sizes in kilobytes. That might be the best way for you to get a pretty human-readable and clearly-understandable set of figures.

You will find that /etc/dfspace gives disk usage in an easy to read format,
divvy will show how file systems are allocated.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.