Deja-dup make my / full. So I cannot restore my back up

The problematic directory is the following:

• /root/.cache/deja-dup

This directory grows until my "/" is full and then the restoring activity fails.
I already tried to create a symbolic link with origin another partition where I have more space. However during the restoring activity the link disappears and the original directory is still used.
Has anyone had this problem before? Anyone proposing a solution?

Most admins have issues with automated backups that fill up the file system.

You have many options, including:

(1) Delete older backups that are not necessary and take up disk space;

(2) Move older backups to other servers, if you want to keep them;

(3) Increase your disk space by adding another drive, etc.

Settings for D�j� Dup are stored in dconf - you use dconf-edit to change or view it. I assume you are on ubuntu.

If you run the program as root, it will store all it work on the root / directory as you found out. You may want to create a user that has a different home directory, and allow advanced permissions for that user.

1 Like

I executed in the shell "dconf-config" and ended in this root menu:

• apps
  • desktop
  • org
  • system

Then I checked the sub-folders but I did not find configuration of "deja-dup".

Luke, I am your father. I am on Debian 9

This sounds interesting. Does it mean if I execute deja-dup-preferences with another user the cache of the root user wont be used?

This can be a solution but I shoud create a new partition to host the new home, right?

1 Like

During the restore activity this is the cache directory that should be populated:

• ~/.cache/deja-dup

Instead of

• /root/.cache/deja-dup

Does anybody can suggest an idea of why the wrong cache directory is being populated?
I execute deja-dup with a common user i.e. not with root.
Furthermore I tried to confirm the ownership of the "~/.cache/deja-dup" and "~/.cache/duplicity":

% sudo chown -R victor /home/victor/.cache/deja-dup/
% sudo chown -R victor /home/victor/.cache/duplicity/