DDOS attack please help!

Dear community,
my site was recently attacjed by DDOS technique and goes down in a few minutes. My site runs under Debian/Apache2/Mysql.
I identified the IPs who attack me and block it through iptable firewall from debian.
Something like:

iptables -D INPUT -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -j DROP

This works perfect, but the attacker just completely change the IP addresses.

What I'm thining to do is create a rules with iptables who accept a total ammount of requests from the same IP and the DROP if the ammount is exceeded. Something like:

iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -i eth0 -m state --state NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 10 -j DROP

The problem here is maybe I miss something because if I refresh the webpage 6/7 times it just drop me the other requests. Maybe I don't understand how "--seconds 60 --hitcount 10" works.

Could you please help me to create a rules to try to block new requests if they come togheter at the same time like an attack?

Many Thanks
Lucas

It might be easier to block (temporarily) based on other information like a token in the User Agent string.

The problem is how many "temporarily"? If the attack continues for days and days I'll be out for such time. What about iptables drop idea?

It's hard to use iptables effectively to mitigate an DDOS attack with changing IP addresses.

Most attackers easily change IP addresses; but they forget to change the User Agent string, so it's often easier to block the hackers User Agent string. Did you do any analysis on the UA strings?

Also, if you are using Apache2, there may be an anti-DDOS module, as I recall.

1 Like

Note:

You might also try the Apache2 "mod_evasive" mod.

1 Like

Fail2ban could be an option also, I use it on my mail server with good results

A few alternative thoughts:

1. Is the server overloaded, so you need to stop the DDOS before it gets to the server? You could potentially throttle concurrent connections upstream at your firewall, assuming you have one upstream of your server.
  2. If you have something less public (for your use only) - you could try security by obscurity, and move the port you've exposed your apache server on (move it from TCP port 80/443 to 90/7443 or something). If it isn't a managed DDOS, the bots won't generally find you again. To use it, the url becomes site:90/path It's an emergency workaround, but probably not a good long-term fix.

Is it a SYN flood attatack?

I found net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies helped for my servers, and I would use
ip route add blackhole x.x.x.x

and in our case the attacker would get bored.

Not too clever but OK as a quick emergency fix.