Day 23: Adventures in 3D Printing for Beginners - Back to Cura (Dark Theme)

A few days ago in this adventure, I installed PrusaSlicer and decided to keep using it because of two reasons:

• Dark Mode
  • Camera Perspective on Zoom

However, after using PrusaSlicer for a few days, I decided to check and see if Cura had a dark mode, and I found that Cura indeed does have a dark theme called Ultimaker Dark and it is very nice!

Then I decided to see if I could fix the issues I was having zooming in and out with the Cura camera; and found the perfect Cura setting: Zoom toward mouse direction.

Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 9.37.24 PM

So, I am back to using Cura again and think I may retire the PrusaSlicer for now.

Currently working on blanks to fill unused ports (holes) in a Hitachi elevator panel; basically taking a button housing for a working button and making it a blank:

Fusion360

That's all for today. After a 5 hour road trip today, it's time for a break and some rest.

If anyone reading has a preference for either the Cura or PrusaSlicer, or another slicer, please reply and let us know why.

1 Like

As mentioned in the day 22 post, i am using Simplify3d which worked well for me from the start. I think i bought it around 2016 or 2017 when i bought my first 3d printer also. Back then it was quite a youtube hype and i am still quite satisfied with it.

I might dip back into prusaslicer when i have some more time to get things going but i am not sure yet.

Simplify3D does not run on unix/linux/macos, and only runs on windows; so there is no chance I'll use S3D, ever :slight_smile:

FWIW, I do not use any software which only runs on windows, as a matter of decades old personal policy and preference. I only run unix-linux-based software.

Also, since these forums are "for unix and linux", S3D discussions are not going to have any traction here.

Currrently, as far as my setup is concerned, I have evaluated both Cura and PrusaSlicer and have decided on Cura and have moved PrusaSlicer off my tool bar and into the background on my mac dev computer.

If S3D ever is ported to macOS, I will definitely install it and give it a try.

Too be honest i dont think you should try it even if it would get ported.

Dont get me wrong since it is a quite nice program but for one its paid software and nowadays cura and prusaslicer are quite more advanced then simplify is at this moment.

As mentioned i will probably test prusaslicer again and if i dont find it too difficult too switch i might actually do it. The main reason i bought simplify is that back then it was quite advanced compared to cura and prusaslicer as they where quite new to the market.

1 Like

You are probably right.

A FDM filament vendor offered to send me a copy of S3D recently (to match what they use) but I told them I am not a windows user; and that ended that.

I'm happy with Cura, to be honest. It works great and now that I figured out how to get dark mode and the camera zoom working as I want with Cura, I have no reason at this time to worry about "what is the best slicer for me" these days.

I'm all set with Cura, for the foreseeable future and have retired PrusaSlider from my tool bar of 3D designing, slicing and printing apps I use daily.

1 Like