Connect to server over internet which uses vpn?

Hi all,

I got a server which is a VPN client (TVHEADEND) Ubuntu.
When I try to connect and stream from the server via internet it doesn't work.
I have port forwarded to the server. If I turn VPN off on the server it works, if I turn it back on it doesn't?
Is there another way round or any way to tell the application to use VPN gateway only and the rest can go through the default internal gateway ?

Thanks

Hello,

This is a feature that most VPN products call "split tunnelling". The idea with split tunnelling is precisely as you describe: the traffic for which there are VPN-specific routes is all that is routed via the VPN, and everything else goes out via the host's default gateway. This is most typically used on systems running VPN clients to allow them to continue to access either the Internet or the rest of their LAN whilst still being able to access private networks over the VPN.

Exactly how you enable this feature will depend entirely on the VPN server and client software that you are using. But you should hopefully be able to consult the documentation for your VPN software, and see how split tunnelling is implemented on your particular VPN solution.

Hope this helps !

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
I'll have a read about split tunnelling, much appreciated
Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.