Computer in suspended state

Suspend computer(sleep mode)

The suspension command, will enable the current system state (complete context) to be saved on the RAM.

The RAM, will be powered off unlike most of the devices in the computer.Once the machine is turned on,

the state saved on the RAM will be restored automatically. This operation is much faster than

restoring the state from hibernation since the system state was not saved on the hard disk.

A suspended system is prone to power outages however since the system state is on the RAM.

What does the last comment mean?

If my power goes out while my computer is in a suspended state, what happens?

Very little if you use a quality UPS with a large battery.

:wink:

I had one with a large battery, but it got lost in my move to another city.

I still have the battery. I am trying to figure out if I can use it for something else.

I use a car battery charger to keep it charged.

This must be a joke?

You cannot safely keep a computer running using a "large car battery".

A "large car battery" delivers too many amps and has no voltage or current regulator so even using it with a laptop is unsafe.

... and of course, a "desktop computer" cannot be powered with a "car battery", unless you have a well regulated inverter set up.

That is why we use UPS so we get DC-AC inversion, voltage and amp regulation, power filtering and more.

A source for this text would be helpful. I think it is junk.

RAM contents are lost when it is unpowered. When 'core' memory used actual "cores" (ceramic ferrite loops with wires running through them), they would actually retain data (one bit each) for a long period. My company once got a machine back from a customer with fire damage -- smoke and water, and powered off for weeks. They powered it up and it just carried on running what was in it. But RAM now decays within tenths of seconds.

This unattributed spiel says that the RAM will be powered off anyway, but a power outage will still damage the system state on the RAM.

I suspect it should say the CPU is "powered off", not the RAM. Even that would be an over-simplification: it probably just stops being clocked, or clocked in a small loop at a very slow rate. I would not trust hibernation at all, except for a couple of days on a Laptop with a reliable battery.

I used a UPS and bought a larger battery for it.

It gave me a 20 minute run time if my power went out.

A not is missing here.

The RAM is volatile, must stay powered on during the "suspended state" to keep its contents.

If your UPS battery covers 20 minutes on a running PC, then it should cover more than 60 minutes on a "suspended" PC.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.