Bridging Talk

Hi! I would like to start creating a bridge for good old Unix talk program. This bridge would allow you to joinIRC-channel by using talk just for example. I have a couple of questions:

1. Are there any previous attempts or implementations creating Talk bridge?

2. Which version of the talk client and talkd would be good to take as a basis of the bridge? There seems to be a plenty of versions of the talk program.

I am wondering if this post above is a vailed attempt to promote Talk Bridge translation services?

Translation services have been around for ages and Google, Facebook and other all have fairly well developed language processing algorithms (not perfect, but working).

Why post this message naming a specific company when the tech world is full of translation projects?

This is not about any translation project. It is about creating bridge for old unix messenger program called talk.

Sorry for being a bit slow here, but: i know talk (somewhat like prehistoric IRC) and i know bridges (devices which connect networks at layer 2).

I just fail to see the connection between these two. You can start a talk -connection whenever you have IP-connectivity (and there is no firewall interfering by blocking necessary ports or something such). How would a bridge fit into this scenario? Care to explain in bit more detail what you want to do?

bakunin

In this context bridging means connectivity to other networks. For example using talk to join IRC channel. This would be achieved by making a program that relays messages to IRC and back.

Well, that sound like a fun project.

But does anyone actually use IRC and UNIX talk these days?

I thought everyone uses FB, WhatsApp, Line, WeChat, etc . ... blah blah blah for messaging!

Well I was planning to bridge it to Matrix. Altough talk is obsolete, there would be still use for it if you could use it with modern networks. I found this GNU Talk source codes from SourceForge by browsing the web. Perhaps I could start hacking the bridge on top of those source codes.

If I were you, I would make a table of all the various messaging system and list their API's (if any); and then I would focus on systems with supported APIs.

For example, Signal has a defined API with developer libs, as I recall.

GitHub - signalapp/libsignal-protocol-c: Signal Protocol C Library

Also, WhatsApp has an API,

Twilio API for WhatsApp | Send messages, alerts and notifications on WhatsApp using Twilio WhatsApp Messaging API.

You should do a full survey of the SOTA and what APIs are available first, if you are going to go down this path.

OK, understood. I actually use talk - rarely, but with one working in the data center and the other colleague in the office it is often easy and convenient to use it for communication. Wouldn't your project be somewhat like the Pidgin Chat Client just extended to support talk ? You might want to consider joining this project and writing exactly this extension.

bakunin

1 Like

Rather than being client my program would work as a relay bridge.

--- Post updated at 03:59 PM ---

Here seems to be some source codes for GNU Talk: GNU Talk Homepage. I was planning to use those as the basis of my program. I need to see how it is possible to redirect messages from talk.