Bad magic number in disk label.

This is first time post...found this forum when looking for possible solution to fix my sun pc. Just one day can't boot it already showing the following:

Boot device: disk File args:
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package
Evaluating: boot

Can't open boot device

ok
ok

Am losing hope already, want to fix this hard disk and retrieve important files. Really appreciate anyone can help me....thanks a lot.

The devalias and probe-scsi-all were attached.

I would start by simply re-seating the disk drive power supply cable and data cable(s). Then try again.

What type of drive is it? Does it spin up? Does it sound okay?

Do you have the CD/DVD media for the O/S?

Hello hicksd8...thanks for the time answering. Yes we've done re-seating, also replacing the cable. The drive type is ATA. Unfortunately, we misplaced the CD. Can we download it online? Or can get it somewhere? Hoping for your response.

Your workstation is SPARC based.

Is there a DVD drive in it? Or only a CD drive?

You can download the OS from here:
Oracle Solaris 10 Downloads
Get the SPARC version (NOT x86)

I would think you need to use Solaris 10 unless you know which version is/was on the machine.

1 Like

Thanks for the link hicksd8...currently am downloading then will burn it into cd. I will keep you posted. Really appreciated your time and support.

You didn't answer my question about whether you have a DVD drive or a CD drive in your machine.

You are almost certainly downloading a DVD image but if your drive is a CD that won't be any good (unless you can change the drive in the machine).

1 Like

Hi,

Came to this a little late, is this an ultra 5 or 10.

The ultra 5 has a SCSI drive and the 10 has an IDE drive, these are quite old machines and will need some TLC.

Trditionally, the Ultra 5 had SCSI disks and the Ultra 10 had IDE.

They are both supported, to Solaris 10

43. Sun Microsystems   	Ultra 5  	Oracle Premier Support  
44. Sun Microsystems   	Ultra 10  	Oracle Premier Support  

Regards

Dave

1 Like

Hello hicksd8...we got cd in our machine...oh men....so both files from the link u give are for DVD? Do you have download link for CD? thanks

I believe that Oracle have stopped distributing (or making available for download) CD media.

There are 5 CD's in the set because of the smaller capacity. You may only need the first CD to recover your system.

I can upload a copy for you to download if you can't find it anywhere else.

1 Like

Actually this PC was given to me by a friend. So have tried calling him but he can't find it somewhere already. This is one of his old staff. Really appreciate if you can upload the copy. Thanks to you much in advance hicksd8. Have a nice day!

Okay, I've uploaded the whole Solaris 10 CD set (#1-#5) plus a Solaris rescue CD all zipped up into a 2.2GB file.

I'll send you a secure download link via PM.

1 Like

Thanks for your great support...I'll just completed downloading...I will find time to burn it into cd and test...I will keep you posted....thanks again.

---------- Post updated at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:22 PM ----------

Hello hicksd8...I unzipped the 6 files which labelled SOL_10_1106_1-5.ISO then a SPARC_RESCUE.ISO.
Please tell me which file I need to burn and make my bootable cd....thanks a lot.

The CD ISO's #1 thru' #5 are the Solaris 10 media distribution on CD's (instead of one DVD). So #1 is bootable and should be the one to burn.

However, I have also provided a Solaris Sparc Rescue CD ISO which is a third-party (non-Oracle) bootable CD containing various rescue utilities which you may find useful.

First thing to do is to burn ISO #1 and boot the system into single user and try to fix your root filesystem.

Hello hicksd8...good day...have successfully boot the cd already...Now I am in the # prompt. Can you please suggest the next step. Do you have command to fix the "bad magic number in disk label" ? Thanks a lot for your continual support.

Do you know the device node of the root filesystem? eg, c0t0d0s0

If not, use the 'format' command, select the first disk, and display its partitions ("slices" in Solaris speak).

Post the output of this. DON'T attempt to change anything.

You should then use 'fsck' to attempt to check the root filesystem. Ensure that you use the -n switch initially to see what damage there is.

1 Like

hicksd8 good morning...so the attached file as per you request...hoping to hear you soon...thanks.

My previous post been reviewed but after few hours until now has not yet publish...

Why the approval of post is very slow...thanks

It looks like your root filesystem is c0t0d0s0 so the command to check for damage is:-

# fsck -F ufs -n /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

That will check the filesystem. Post the output of that.

I may be that the disk label is damaged and/or the boot block and these may need rewriting, but let's check the filesystem first.