Bad magic number in disk label.

Hello hicksd8...please see attached file for the result of your request....Hope to hear you sooner....thanks a lot.

ATA transport errors?
Your disk is broken!
(Or the IDE cable is broken; but this can only happen if the box was physically treated.)

Power down

Reseat the disk cables, both data and power supply. Also, reseat the other end of the data cable (if there is one) eg, on the motherboard or wherever.

Run the fsck again and see if the result is the same.

Have done changing cables but not helping....thanks a lot ....

Boot the system from CD into single user (# prompt).

Please post the output of:

# newfs -N /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0

Good day hicksd8...thanks for the continual support...the attached file is the result...

Hmmmmm!!!!!

This shows that it cannot retrieve alternate superblock locations and, indeed, the filesystem shows a different disk geometry to the whole disk.

Somehow, the geometry is screwed which would explain the "bad magic number" error.

I need to think how we could straighten out the disk geometry.

Hello hicksd8...thanks a lot for your continual support...We are willing to wait for your further advice...thanks

Are you saying that there is data on this disk that you would like to save and that you have no backup?

If so, you may need to take some kind of image of the drive first (do you have any software which can do that?) so that you can recover to this position should anything we try fail.

As I said, "ATA transport failed" and "I/O error" mean that your disk is broken.
You can as well verify with format -> select the disk -> analyze -> read
And then see the Error count in iostat -E for "dad1" (the kernel driver name for the "c0t0d0" disk, you can do iostat -nE to see the other name).
BTW the geometry matches a 20 GB disk; it is normal that the last sectors.of a disk or partition are unused.
Get a new disk! Restore your data or start an installation from scratch.

1 Like

Losing hope already that we can retrieve the data...So I think need your help to provide me steps to format and make it running again...thanks hicksd8...have a nice day!

It depends if you desperately need the data from the disk or not. There are things that could be tried but perhaps you should save an image of the disk first if the data is high value.

To enter the Solaris install routine you simply boot from CD as you have been doing but leave off the -s for single user.

ok> boot cdrom

but once you reinstall your data is gone.

Hello hicksd8...really need the data, but from all the forums I've joined. You're the only one response. Then I saw we're running out of options already. But you mentioned "there are things that could be tried" so maybe we can try it first? thanks

First thing to try is as suggested by MadeInGermany post#30.

Boot from CD into single user:

ok> boot cdrom -s

Run the 'format' command, select the disk, 'analyze', 'read'.

If you are trying to recover data ensure you select the non-destructive read test. It will take a long time to run.

This should tell us how damaged (hardware wise) the disk is.

The next thing to try will be to rewrite the disk label by using 'format' in expert mode and selecting option to label the disk.

# format -e

Let's 'analyze' the disk first.

Hello hicksd8...the attached file is the results...thanks....

How long did the 'analyze' take to run? Did it take a long time or just a few seconds?

Hello hicksd8...any update from you? Sorry for disturbing...thanks

You didn't answer my post#36. Did the analyse error out in a few seconds or did it run for a long time? I'm trying to ascertain whether sectors on your drive can be read or not.

Sorry I missed the post#36...yes the analyse completed about 2 minutes....thanks.

That sounds like the disk is NOT communicating. Analyze should take hours to run!!!

You've reseated the drive cables, etc so time to get the drive tested. Does it sound okay? Is it spinning? You may have a dead drive here (as MadeInGermany has already said).

Can you or a friend test the drive (perhaps in another machine) without writing to it. Just see if it's recognised.