lomster
November 15, 2024, 9:00am
1
I found somewhere online that you can set up log rotation for audit_log on httpserver so in my modsecurity.conf i switched logging conf from:
SecAuditLog logs/audit_log
to
SecAuditLog "|/usr/IBM/HTTPServer/bin/rotatelogs -l /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/logs/audit_log.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 86400"
when this configuration is applied the file is not created and logging is not in a file that i want and it doesnt even log anything.
When i comment the new config and put back the default one with logs/audit_log it logs again to that file. Im trying to find a way to rotate this log since it can go up to 4 GB in a couple of months which is a lot. Has anyone found the way to do this?
Server version is: IBM_HTTP_Server/8.5.5.22 (Unix)
Neo
November 15, 2024, 10:25am
2
Hi @lomster
It is probably a good idea to perform some basic checks:
Verify the rotatelogs Path
• Ensure the rotatelogs binary exists at /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/bin/rotatelogs.
• Check with:
ls -l /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/bin/rotatelogs
Please post the output (using Markdown code blocks) of the above command.
Cheers!
Hi @lomster ,
maybe you've missed a trailing double quote?
Missing the closing quote?
SecAuditLog "|/usr/IBM/HTTPServer/bin/rotatelogs -l /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/logs/audit_log.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 86400"
lomster
November 15, 2024, 11:27am
5
Hey @Neo thanks for answer.
It exists i use it for logrotation of error_logs and access_logs
This is how i do that in httpd conf, but with this type im not sure how to format the logs for audit log
ErrorLog "|/usr/IBM/HTTPServer/bin/rotatelogs -l /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/logs/error_log.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 86400"
CustomLog "|/usr/IBM/HTTPServer/bin/rotatelogs -l /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/logs/access_log.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 86400" "%h %A:%p %l %u %t %{SSL_CLIENT_SERIALNUM}e \"%r\" %>s %b %T %D \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"
Thats why i tried with modsecurity.conf
BR
lomster
November 15, 2024, 11:39am
6
Hi @bendingrodriguez i missed the double quotes while pasting, in my config on server its ok,
SecAuditLog "|/usr/IBM/HTTPServer/bin/rotatelogs -l /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/logs/audit_log.%Y-%m-%d-%H_%M_%S 86400"
lomster
November 15, 2024, 11:39am
7
Hi @MadeInGermany
As mention in my other answer, i have double quotes at the end, it slipped in my paste...
Neo
November 15, 2024, 3:49pm
8
Yes, I figured missing the endiing " was a copy-and-paste issue. I do it all the time, these kind of mouse errors.
I see, so there is no permission error, as you have already checked and confirmed?
Example Only
sudo chmod -R 755 /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/logs/
sudo chown -R httpd_user:httpd_group /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/logs/
The user running the IBM HTTP Server (usually nobody or apache) must have write permissions to the /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/logs/ directory.
I'm sure you checked that already @lomster ; but thought I would ask just to be complete since I cannot see your terminal