Application Fatigue

Application fatigue...

(Apologies for typos, etc...)

13-09-2026.
Why do many excellent applications get abandoned by their author[s]?
Sound eXchange for example, this has not been updated since version 14.4.2
several years ago.
FS-UAE is now in the same boat.

This is from my personal experience with AudioScope.sh...
There are several reasons:

  1. OS "Major Upgrades" and often "updates"...
    Oh boy, does this wind me up! The *NIX ethos, "Everything is a file".
    Well on my AudioScope.sh three major things happened:
    A) First, my APPLE MacBook Pro there were two major changes to my
    AppleScript capture code from OSX 10.7.x to my latest OSX 10.15.7.
    This is one of my pet hates, modify the scripting language which breaks
    earlier versions.
    B) Second, GNU/Linux Mint Cinnamon, from version 19.1 until 22.1, after
    installing the SW to create '/dev/dsp', '/dev/dsp' did not work. I
    didn't mind the fact that 'oss-compat' was needed for it to work, that
    is in the OS's SW Manager and my manual, but surely the developers of
    their OSes test the *NIX ethos to make 'Everything is a file' when
    third party SW is installed.
    C) Third, GNU/Linux Mint Cinnamon again, current as of the above date.
    PulseAudio has been replaced by PipeWire and it looks like my multi
    platform 'Audio Function Generator' which I was going to put up on
    here is now broken. The irony of it is that I have uploaded it to
    AMINET, and because that OS has not changed in decades, it works fine.
    ( It is 'dash' compliant and can be found here if you feel like trying
    it out:- Aminet - dev/gg/AFG.sh.zip )
    D) Boredom! This was probably my reason because although I have snippets
    to add to AudioScope.sh, (e.g. true RMS, wideband logarithmic 10Hz to
    40KHz audio spectrum analyser, which I uploaded here sometime ago,
    other capture modes and more), I just can't get the impetus to carry
    on with it.
    E) No appreciation for the man hours put into a project by sending say an
    email, even if it is just a bug report, to acknowledge said project.
    This statement does NOT include the guys on here that gave considerable
    help my way during AudioScope.sh's evolution. Without their input
    AudioScope.sh would never have gotten off of the ground.
    F) Obsolescence. New technologies creating much more powerful platforms,
    both HW and SW, that are not easily backwards compatible to older
    systems, making the applications that they have been coded for on
    these ageing systems difficult or even impossible to transfer to
    current systems.
    G) Licen[c][s]ing. The vast majority of my stuff is Creative Commons CC0;
    that is, Public Domain. I give nearly everything, SW wise, away.
    There are so many of these, patents, copyrights, trade-marks;
    commercial, and F[L]OSS licences, that are available. This is unreal.
    I can understand Intellectual Property rights, etc, but come on, are
    so many F[L]OSS ones needed?
    H) Being inundated with trivial bug reports that the user could solve
    if [s]he wanted to and create a solution. Every platform and its HW
    have very subtle differences to its neighbours that a developer cannot
    keep track of it all.
    For example, I use this laptop daily and the GNU/Linux Mint Cinnamon
    UK KB layout is missing the backtick character. Big deal, for the
    amount of times I have used it, (almost zero), over the years I
    created a one byte file backtick.txt; load it into this text editor,
    copy, and paste it as required. A simple cure that has saved the Mint
    developers a load of man hours trying to map a Dell XPS KB to UK mode.

Any comments, guys and gals?

Hi @wisecracker

I think most good free applications are abandoned for a simple reason: they were created by one person, or a very small group, whose enthusiasm and available time eventually ran out.

Creating something new is enjoyable; spending years repairing it whenever macOS, Linux, an audio system or a supporting library changes is mostly unpaid maintenance.

“Everything is a file” is a useful Unix abstraction, but it never guaranteed that old interfaces such as /dev/dsp would remain compatible forever. A shell script may be perfectly dash compliant and still break because the external commands, devices or audio services it depends upon have changed.

Boredom, poor bug reports and hearing little from satisfied users until something fails only make that maintenance burden worse.

There is also a difference between abandoned software and finished software. If an application still performs its intended job, the lack of new releases does not necessarily indicate failure. SoX 14.4.2 was indeed the final release of the original line, but its development continues through SoX_ng.

FS-UAE is not currently abandoned either: version 3.2.35 appeared in September 2025, and FS-UAE 5 alpha builds are available. Ultimately, free software may cost the user nothing, but maintaining it indefinitely still costs part of the developer’s life.

In my volunteer work outside software, I have found that the quiet, polite majority appreciate and support my unpaid work, while a small but aggressive minority contribute nothing except loud criticism. In general, though, I think the software community is much better behaved.

Neo...

I am a one man band, so your first paragraph holds true for me...

As for unpaid maintenance, I no longer do apps but code snippets/recipes instead...
I uploaded one recently to AMINET, and posted a part where I used AI to get my extreme backwards compatibility for a Lee 1D FCT to 2D on here, and the AMINET DLs speak for themselves...
This is my latest addition for a stock AMIGA A1200(HD) and Python 1.4.0 to 3.15.0b3 on other platforms without modification, this is MORE than enough to satisfy my coding ego...

Cosine Transforms so that an ancient platform can have the facility, and usable for everyone else too...

Are they 'scipy' quality? NO!

Do they work? YES!

On theoretically ALL platforms? More than likely so long as they have a Python Version greater than 1.3.0 for the current GNU/Linux Mint 22.3!

Are they naive? Boy oh boy, you don't know the half of it...

Here's one: x+=1 does NOT exist in Python 1.4.0...
So we are left with: x=x+1 so how naive is that!

Thanks for the SoX heads-up, however...
GNU/Mint has an earlier FS-UAE version 3.1.66 and is Flatpak-ed, and for my needs is good enough.
I will stick with the sandbox[ing]...

I have now found a niche in creating my retro recipes designed to hopefully overcome most of my OP.

Thanks for the feedback...

In a world where technological advances continue to steamroll over humanity, being human becomes more precious and more important.

As our lives become increasingly connected to software and robotics, we should remember:

Just be human.

Create. Make mistakes. Be messy. Be free.

So far, this is the only place in the visible universe where humanity exists.

Cherish and celebrate that.