angle brackets should be escaped automatically

I think that HTML code within posts should be turned off -- the vB Code can provide all the features we need. Then, you should modify the program to automatically escape any angle brackets, so that < gets translated to < and > gets translated to >

I see a lot of people garble their posts by trying to use angle brackets in their message. Angle brackets are so frequently used to denote parameters in unix command lines, that this make sense to me ...

I agree.

the only time html is really used on this site is when people post links. and well heck as long as your put the whole link in the body we can cut and copy the link.

vB code provides "pseudo-html". So you would still be able to include links, images, lists, quotes, change color/size of your fonts, etc even if HTML was turned off. Check out the "vB Code" box right above the posting area when you are composing your message.

OK. I've turned HTML off in the main forum for dummies. Let's see how that well works and if it does all we need.

Sorry, HTML is now on again in the forums. I think the benefits of HTML outweight the problems.