Alternative button for code tags

Also, FYI: Until we find something better, I just added a new temporary ICODE icon in the editor toolbar.

1 Like

How about the following?

<input type="submit" value="">

These can be styled to look the same.
There are two delimiters between Remove Text Formatting and Align Left, perhaps one can be discarded? Also the Undo and Redo buttons can be moved either to the left or right, so that the code buttons are all next to each other?

From left to right:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

Hardly ever used:

Hardly ever used:

Hardly ever used:

Infrequently used:

Use often:

Use fairly often:

Hadly ever used - would love to delete it - it's the number one button for people who can't be bothered to find the code tags button!:

Would always use if I wasn't in the habit of typing it:

Never used:

Never used it EVER:

Never used it EVER:

Will use it if needed:

Will probably use it when needed:

So for me, most of this is already useless clutter :slight_smile:

Edit: While I often use bold, italics, etc. I generally type ... manually

My usage:

From left to right:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

Use Often:

Use Often:

Never used:

Never used:

Use Often:

Use Often:

Use Sometimes:

Use sometimes:

Use often:

Use often:

Use often:

Use often

Use sometimes:

Never used it EVER:

Never used it EVER:

Starting using it:

Use it now:

My usage:

From left to right:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

Never used:

use sometimes:

Use sometimes:

Never used:

Used sometimes:

Use Often:

Use Often:

Use never:

Used long ago, before moderator-format, now use it never:

Use often:

Use sometimes:

Use often:

Use often

Use sometimes:

Never used it EVER:

Never used it EVER:

Used it often by hand, will use it often:

Use it often:

Let me add that the two new buttons are a welcome change. A lot of the others could be dropped from my POV.

Dropping the font button would be a great relief.

2 Likes

You're absolutely right. It's misused nearly 100% of the time.

I agree to get rid of the font button.... it annoys me when most people use it.

My usage:

From left to right:

Never used, never noticed it, might be practical though

Use sometimes:

Never used:

Never used:

use sometimes:

Use sometimes:

Used sometimes:

Used sometimes:

Use Often:

Use Often:

Use Often:

Use often (especially for red highlighting of characters):

Use often:

Use sometimes:

Use often:

Use very very often

Never use:

Used sometimes:

Used more often, practical when inadvertently text box is cleared after page back, page forward:

Used it sometimes by hand, will use it:

Used it sometimes by hand, will use it:

Moreover, it's redundant. We have [b], [i], [icode], and [code] for nearly everything people try to use crazy fonts for.

I'd also suggest disabling the rich-edit mode . Now that I know it exists, I suspect it's responsible for a lot of the font and color offenses, especially the multiply-embedded [font][font][font] nonsense; they just keep editing until it "looks right" for them and never see the mess they are making. Not to mention the strange folk who are baffled by the very concept of code tags. Inside the context of rich-edit it doesn't make sense -- a button to turn a line of text into a block?

Right.

I totally agree, the fonts choices are just a nuisance. Might be nice to keep font sizes available though? I sometimes use the smallest size to

--
scribble some extra information at the bottom of a post

Do we have better sense now of whether the change in the icons has actually improved the situation of requesting to add (or moderators themselves actually applying) code tags?

Changing the button has made no difference.

I think I did notice a difference: there were hardly any users that used quote tags instead of code tags. So for users looking for the code tags button, I think there was less confusion. On the other hand here was a small rise in users that used icode tags instead of code tags, because of the new icode button.

However, for new users who never heard of code tags, I did not notice any difference and they ignored code tags just as often as before...

From a user perspective I concur: it is much easier to see which is the code button and which the quote button, so the change has overall been positive.
Neo once spoke of a Bayesian classifier in PHP (http://www.unix.com/whats-your-mind/169644-want-work-freelancer-unix-linux-admin.html\), but this would probably either need to be developed from scratch or copied from an existing open source project where it is known to work.

The improvement could also be due to Neo's code-tag detection.

The new code detection algorithm is not live yet... so it would not influence anything.

1 Like