Alternative button for code tags

I am aware of the many issues surrounding posters not using code tags around code or data. Could we somewhat alleviate this issue by having a better icon that shows more clearly its function?

1 Like

[Confidential Post]

I think figaro has a point. The function of the button is not immediately obvious, the letters are quite small and one needs to hover to find out the meaning. Perhaps only the 4 letters would be clearer? for example:
CO
DE

Hmm, when we are at it, an ICODE button would be soooo nice ... :wink:

Honestly, I don't think the button makes much difference. If we had a button that said "NO HW", people would still post homework. Buttons and icon designs are useful, but they cannot compensate for posters who are not familiar nor interested in forum rules and etiquette.

The current button says "CODE" and is quite easy to read, and is a standard in many forums (attached). On the other hand, if there is a better one or more, that's great.

If you have one (or more) you like better, please reply and attach it (or them) and we'll certainly consider them. We could even have a vote...

We should try it out.
We should also have it blinking like a brothel ad :smiley: :wink: No joke heh (animated gif or something).

Honestly speaking code tag button is not that much clear to read at the first time. It's like water mark letters and hard to read for the first time users.
And i don't think user's normally read the comment posted by moderators..(at least first time posters:D)

We can make this as bold or dark in color.
And one more if possible we can place this below smileys(at the right side) with lit bit big size.:smiley:

I know this cross topic here - What about adding few more smileys ...?:smiley:

After looking at the three smilies in your post, I think we should remove them, not add more.

Also, if you have a button you like, include it as an attachment in your reply.

Perhaps something like this?

1 Like

Or something like this..:slight_smile:

We should have vote for color...

Good suggestions.... I forgot to mention that the icons for the code tag are 32 x 32 pixels; so please upload images that are 32 x 32 pixels, so we can easily compare and contrast them.

Thank you Scrutinizer for uploading a 32 x 32 image !

Here are three I just found doing a quick Google image search for "source" and also "code" limiting size to 32 x 32 pixels ....

Ok.. Here are 32*32.. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am pleased to see that this post has garnered so much attention. Personally I find the suggested icons vague. Something in high contrast that simply says CODE or [CODE] should do it, I would say?
The reason this post needed to be written was because I often mix up the CODE button and the HTML button. In other words, can we have something that is not only clearly visible, but also unambiguous?

Hey figaro,

As I have replied; if you have an icon you want to see, please create it or find it on the net and post it as an attachment. It must be 32 x 32 pixels.

In other words, if you don't like any of the ones suggested or found by others, you need to "put something forward" as we are not your personal "icon creators", LOL

The old saying in the coding world was "put up or shut up"... now, I don't want to say something so strong; but hey it is only 32 x 32 pixels, so if you really have a idea of what you want it to be, just upload it, don't ask us to create if for you. Thanks.

After all, if it is important to you, just create (or provide from the net) one for the community to review.

1 Like

How about these?

<input type="submit" value="">
<input type="submit" value="">

---------- Post updated at 23:29 ---------- Previous update was at 23:24 ----------

That should be a button that says "CODE", with square brackets.

I would be inclined to go with Scrutinizer's option. It's clearer than the current one and the others suggested.

So many people recently have been using the ````

[quote]
tag button, which sits right next to the [CODE] tag button, which tells us that it isn't at all obvious what the current [CODE] ```` tag button does.

That's not a 32 x 32 button. A concept that does not fit on a 32x32 button is not going to "cut the mustard" as they say.

Please, if you have a concept, put it on 32 x 32 pixels and upload it so we can review it :wink: :wink:

EDIT: Maybe we should just make the button wider in the future and not use the default 32x32 size for code tags!?

Done.

(Honestly, it does not look any clearer to me, but I changed it .... )

I see you have added a message for new posts/threads mentioning the CODE-tags. I think is a good idea. Thanks.

bakunin

I think that is a good idea. Then we could have CODE, HTML and PHP all in buttons which are 32 pixels high but can have any width and also look stylistically more in line with each other.