starting out in unix

i am trying to learn cgi script (perl), i think to do this i need to download a unix system,/acccount, which i have tried to do on XP without success. Can any one point me in the right direction on how i get started.
i.e what do i need to do to actually write cgi script for my website.
cheers guys.

You need to select a UNIX distribution and install. If you are complete newbie, you might enjoy a visit to the bookstore and pickup a version that comes with a good book and the CDs. There are many flavors and all are good. I like Linux Slackware....others like Linux RedHat.... Linux Mandrake.... FreeBSD... the list is very long and these forums are not for debating personal choices.

All of the Linux distributions, and I assume the BSD distros, have PERL as an option that can be installed out of the box.... you should be good to go in very little time.

I highly recommend a good book with CD for beginners. It will save you lots and lots of time.

i have done a few things in perl and foudn out that is out of the box on freebsd :). and otu of the box on many linux distributions.
If you are an real linux starter and like to just do everything by mouse and do not need to configure files for what you need to read many books try suse , mandrake , redhat. the first two i have worked with most and know they are really easy. everything can be auto detected. just configure users trough menu's. add tv cards , videocards by going trough many menu's

Perl has come right out of the box in every distro I have ever used, all the main linux distros and all three main BSD's...

I believe that Perl was removed from the latest version of FreeBSD but can be installed from the ports tree.