Zip Multiple files to One .zip file in AIX system

Hi
I have a requirement in unix shell where I need to zip multiple files on server to one single .zip file. I dont see zip command in AIX and gzip command not doing completely what I want.
One I do .zip file, I should be able to unzip in my local Computer.

Here is example what I want
a1.txt
a2.txt
a3.txt
output should be a.zip and when I unzip on local desktop it should be same as above a.txt,b.txt and c.txt

Please help me to resolve this
thanks in advance

zip is indeed the standard and common command for this, if you don't have it, install it. gzip is definitely not the same thing.

Once you have it, you can use it like zip file.zip a1.txt a2.txt a3.txt which will create a zip file containing all the listed files. Wildcards like a*.txt ought to work.

But could you please guide me the steps to install zip in AIX
I have no idea

thanks

---------- Post updated at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous update was at 02:33 PM ----------

Is there any other option without installing zip command will work? I think that involved a little hard process.

Can we do it using the same gzip command. Please let me know
thanks

You asked and answered this yourself already -- gzip isn't zip. Different kinds of files. You need zip.

Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of this for AIX. I do know you'd need to find the one for your version, what exact version do you have? uname -a

Version 6

It would help it you would show what it's doing, and explain what more you want. :slight_smile:

Easy -- he wants to make zip-style archives, not gzip-style streams.

Any further help on my above request please.
I am stilling awaiting for the reply
Thanks

Bumping up posts or double posting is not permitted in these forums.

Please read the rules, which you agreed to when you registered, if you have not already done so.

You may receive an infraction for this. If so, don't worry, just try to follow the rules more carefully. The infraction will expire in the near future

Thank You.

The UNIX and Linux Forums.

If you want to use zip, you have no other choice but to install it on your system....

IBM AIX Toolbox for Linux Applications - Easy Install