ZFS mount point - problem

Hi,
We are using ZFS to take the sanpshots in our solaris 10 servers. I have the problem when using ZFS mount options.

The solaris server we are used as,

SunOS emch-mp89-sunfire 5.10 Generic_127127-11 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V440Sys
tem = SunOS

Steps:

1. I have created the zfs pool named as lmspool

2. Then created the file system lmsfs

3. Now I want to set the mountpoint for this ZFS file system (lmsfs) as "/opt/database" directory (which has some .sh files).

4. Then need to take the snapshot of the lmsfs filesystem.

5. For the mountpoint set, I tried two ways.
    1. zfs set mountpoint=/opt/database lmspool/lmsfs
    it returns the message "cannot mount '/opt/database/': directory is not empty
    property may be set but unable to remount filesystem".
    If I run the same command in second time, the mount point set properly and then I taken the snapshot of the ZFS filesystem (lmsfs). After done some modification in the database directory (delete some files), then I rollback the snapshot but the original database directory was not recovered. :frowning:

2. In second way, I used the "legacy" option for mounting.
         \#  zfs set mountpoint=legacy lmspool/lmsfs
        \#  mount -F zfs lmspool/lmsfs /opt/database

After run this command, I cant able to see the files of the database directory inside the /opt. So I cant able to modify anything inside the /opt/database directory.

Please someone suggest me the solution for this problem. or anyother ways to take the ZFS snapshot with mounting point in UFS file system?..

Thanks,
Muthukrishnan G

You tried to create a filesystem to be mounted on a directory that was already having files on it, and possibly open files. You can't do that. You first create a filesystem then you use it, not the other way around.

Hi jlliagre,
Thanks for your reply. I can understand that we can't mount the ZFS filesystem to the directory, already having files.

I want to take the snapshot of the solaris server (which has installed my web application product). The installed directories are present inside /opt , /var , directories. Thats why I tried ZFS snap shot with the mount point of that folders.

Please suggest me any other way to take the snap shot of those directories and rollback. :mad:
Thanks,
Muthukrishnan G

These directories aren't on ZFS but on UFS. You cannot do a ZFS snapshot of a non ZFS filesystem. You might want to use fssnap instead but fssnap isn't designed to allow rollback.
Alternatively, you can move the directory contents to ZFS.

[LEFT]ok. is it possible to boot the solaris server in ZFS file system ?. because our product supports ZFS file system too.. so that I can install our product in ZFS file system, and take the snap shot of that.

Please give me suggestion how to boot the server in ZFS file system ? .

Need to remove all mount point present already in UFS,

/opt /var ?? and create new root pool in ZFS ?.. or ..

Thanks,.
Muthukrishnan G
[/LEFT]