Yppasswdd not running on nis master server

Goodmorning

i am preparing Nis for my test lab.Running Redhat 5.4 on master and centos for my client.Master server running portmap,ypserv,yppasswdd and client running portmap,ypbind and ypxfrd.
ypcat and other yp commands are running fine frm client.But when i try yppasswdd on client to change password on server it gets error - yppasswdd not running on Nis master server ( domain ).checked var/log/message but nothing is thr.
please help me.

---------- Post updated at 03:42 AM ---------- Previous update was at 02:47 AM ----------

hi guys

i found solution on google after long time but still didnt understand what was the problem

shifted my host name on second line in hosts file and added my server ip address like
127.0.0.1 local host
192.168.x.x myhost myhost.domain.

please let me know the reason.

thank you

ypxfrd is needed on the NIS master only if there are NIS slave servers that are configured to pull copies from the NIS master by means of ypxfr command
in crontab; also needed if a new slave server is added with ypinit command.
I recommend to use yppush in the master's /var/yp/Makefile that pushes copies to the NIS slaves if a map was changed.
ypxfrd is never needed on a NIS client.
Password is changed with yppasswd command; passwd command should work, too.
Each NIS client should have IP addresses of the NIS servers (master and slaves) configured (in /etc.yp.conf or other file, depends on Linux distro). If hostnames are configured it needs /etc/hosts entries to translate them to IP addresses.
A yppasswd talks to the yppasswdd on the NIS master. Could be that it reports own hostname and IP address where yppasswdd then performs a sanity check (safety is not the right word here).

1 Like