(Yet) Another newbie qstn - X-server won't work!

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a sun ultra 60 and am a bit of a unix newbie, so bear with me here! I've just completed a fresh install of Solaris 9 and everything was going well until the machine rebooted. When the system is coming up, it prints the followinf message on-screen:

The X-server can not be started on display :0...

Which leaves me in console mode :frowning:

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Or how I might go about starting the X-server?

FYO I'm using a GNR 17" TFT panel connected to the box using a 13W3 adaptor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What you have to do is run a X server setup utility. If this was SuSE linux i would type in sax2 into the console and configure X server from there, but its not so I don't know what utility solaris uses. Maybe someone else can help.

i "normal case" solarisSPARC detects your configuration by itselfs. Perhabs you did something wrong during the installation... Solaris on sparc always runs :wink:
when you are looking into the startscript of the X-Server there are some conditions:

/etc/rc2.d/S99dtlogin
look wheater /usr/bin has been mounted...

what type of graphikcard are you using? when you are using an non standart card, are the driver installed?

write your status.....

greetings Pre�y

Hi Pressy & Synbios! Thanks for replying.

I am using an Elite 3D graphics card - so there shouldn't be any problems with that :slight_smile:

I checked the S99dtlogin script and it should be mounting /usr/bin ok...

Any more advice? Does anybody know what the solaris 9 X-server setup utility or tool is?

Thanks again.

alarmcall

i'm not sure about it.... long time ago using an elite3d......
try:
# man afbconfig
and
# man afb

replay the situation, pls....

greetings Pre�y

Hey Pressy,

I re-thought my approach and re-installed solaris! I simply installed disc 1/2 only, let it detect network settings and generally did as little "customising" as possible to reduce the chance of introducing user input error. Guess what? It worked!

Unfortunately, the resolution was incorrectly set at 1152x870(?)@60Hz, so I tried to reset it using

/usr/sbin/abfconfig -res 1280x1024@60 try

This was a BAD idea, because when the monitor came back on asking me if I wanted to accept the changes that the change to this resolution had been successful, so I typed y, hit the return key and watched as my screen went blank!

I cannot see the desktop at all now! Do you know how to reconfigure the display resolution at startup - i.e. before the system starts X?

I can't believe I've done this - just when I was getting somewhere I go and bugger it up again :mad:

Thanks for any help again.

Yours stupidly,

alarmcall

*hehe*
"never change a running system"
*hehe*

can you see the login screen? there you could choose an option called commandline login......

if not, you could send a brake (STOP-A) while initializing the memory during the boot and type into your OBP :
[poor BIOS children :wink: ]
OK# boot -s
now you are booting into the single user mode, (without X) .... feel free to chance your resolution..... perhaps you should have a look whether your monitor can do it....

greetings Pre�y

You may want to try to re-setup your video settings using kdmconfig