(yet another) copy files from windows to server question

Hi all,

I spent the last few hours Googling for a solution without result, so here goes:

I have Windows server 'source' that produces files that need to be copied to an external Linux server 'target'. I initiate this process from AIX server 'jobrunner'. An additional step is a Linux server 'proxy' in our DMZ that functions as a (you guessed it) proxy.

I had a nice workflow going that first spawned an SSH client on 'jobrunner' that forwarded all TCP traffic to 'proxy'. That tunnel I then used for a tar-over-ssh :

smbclient //source/share -Tc - * | ssh remote "tar -xf -"

Now, I just found out that the company that hosts 'target' does not provide tar on their server (!) so I need to come up with something else. I would really like a solution that does not require copying the files from 'source' to either 'jobrunner' or 'proxy' first before pushing them to 'target'. I tried a few scenario's like creating a named pipe on 'jobrunner', smbget'ing to this pipe and scp-ing from it, but without succes.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Willem.

Is maybe mount.smb and sudo available? If so, you could temporarily mount the share (using sudo) in a directory, scp the files through your tunnel, and unmount it again after you're finished.

Hi pludi,

The AIX Samba package I'm using (pware53-64.samba.rte) does not include mount.smb, mount.cifs or anything like that. But I dug a little deeper and found that AIX actually knows how to mount Windows shares, it's just that the required packages are not installed by default. So, after installing the bos.cifs_fs.smit and bos.cifs_fs.rte packges I got my share mounted. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Regards,
Willem.