XWindows from Solaris 8

Hi everyone, I have an xwindow problem I could use a hand with.

I have a solaris 8 installation (a container actually, within solaris 10). I seem to not be able to open any xwindows over ssh.

It comes about when trying to install oracle. When ssh'd to the solaris 8, Oracle's runInstaller comes back with

Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors    Failed <<<<
    >>> Could not execute auto check for display colors using command /usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo. Check if the DISPLAY variable is set.

however DISPLAY is set. So I go and run /usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo myself and get

Xlib: connection to "10.12.2.151:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

/usr/openwin/bin/xdpyinfo:  unable to open display "10.12.2.151:0.0".

10.12.2.151 is a windows machine running Xming, but I also get the same when I put in an address for a Solaris 10 - both have run xwindows from other systems before. That is, I'm confident that the problem exists on the solaris 8 end.

I had to install openssh manually; it works, as far as normal sshing goes, but perhaps I missed something. (X11forwarding is set to yes in the sshd_config.) The guide I used is at Installing OpenSSH Packages - SPARC and Intel/Solaris 8

So... any ideas?

Cheers

goodvikings

Did you looked in Xming log??? There can be a lot of useful info.
You can also try to set $DISPLAY variable just to "10.12.2.151:0" without last null.

Well I checked the Xming logs and googled the error found there. The error is something to do with access permissions and whatnot.

The fix that worked for me is at mattfleming.com

try running commands

# export DISPLAY=IP:0.0
# xterm &

or
# /usr/dt/bin/dtconfig -e