Xming Vs ssh connect to RHEL server from Windows machine

I am able to connect a RHEL server from my Windows machine using Putty (via ssh). My question is what is the advantage of using Xming instead of Putty? Is it that Xming would enable a graphical connect from the Windows machine to RHEL server?

I hope my question is clear that what is the advantage of using Xming over Putty.

Please revert with the reply to my query.

Regards

XMing allows you to run graphical applications from a remote machine. It typically uses Putty for the ssh connection. You can build launchers that launch a specific windowed application and put those on the windows desktop as shortcuts. It works with 64-bit Windows operating systems.

Thanks for your answer. What is the reason that Putty does not support a graphical connect? Because, it does not show a graphical connect even if give a use ssh -X option.

It may be that you don't have the display variable set up on the linux side.

When I want to use the Sun Java Directory Server on my LDAP server, I ssh to the machine and run this little script:

#! /bin/bash
#This little script reads the ipaddress of the session that just logged
#in via SSH and sets up the xwindows display. Exceed must be running
#on the local terminal first.

echo "Do you have Exceed or Xming running? (y or n) and Enter"
read response
if [ "$response" == "y" ]; then
ip_addr=${SSH_CONNECTION%% *}
DISPLAY=$ip_addr:0.0
export DISPLAY
/var/mps/serverroot/startconsole
fi

This sets the DISPLAY variable based on the ip from which you connnected. The linux box needs to know where to send the display based on the DISPLAY variable. In my script, after the variable is set, it runs the startconsole program. This is on a Solaris system; on a normal linux system Xterm is usually used.

So, typically, you would ssh to the box, set the DISPLAY and then run the program you want on the Linux machine. Does that make sense?

Xming is an X11 server for Microsoft Windows. Putty is an SSH client. Two different softwares, with different purposes.

If you check the "Enable X11 forwarding" option in Putty, it will allow the remote UNIX server to display X11 GUI programs on your local PC, over the ssh tunnel.... but those X11 gui programs will need an X11 server to connect to; that's Xming.

FYI we use Putty and Xming to manage all our production UNIX and Linux servers at work, they are a nice combination and work very reliably.

Tip: When you start Xming, don't start it using the "Xming" shortcut. Instead, use the "Xlaunch" shortcut, and be sure to check the box for "No Access Control".

I could not get the launcher to work at all with Solaris 10. That's why I ended up creating the script. Do you have it working to a Solaris machine, perchance?

Do not use the launcher to start a unix program. Use the launcher only to start the X11 server on your Windows PC. Then ssh to your server using Putty, and launch the GUI software from the command line. Xclock or Xlogo is a good lightweight GUI program you can test with. This will allow you to see any error messages that your program may throw, so that you can troubleshoot.

Xlaunch can create Windows shortcuts, so that you don't have to manually ssh in and start a program, but you have to get it working first, or you won't know where the problem is.

We don't have any Solaris here, it's all HP-UX and RHEL. That shouldn't matter though, since we're talking about standardized networking protocols, X11 and ssh, and should work identically on any unix-like system.

I've never had any problems getting launchers set up to to connect to CentOS, Ubuntu or RedHat servers, but I couldn't get a launcher to work with Solaris. I got no meaningful error messages back and eventually gave up and did it without the launcher. If I were doing it for someone other than myself, I would have spent more time on it, but I was satistfied with starting Xming, then SSHing to the Solaris machine and running my little script.

Launchers are part of the GNOME desktop and you probably had no problems because your Linux servers run GNOME. But GNOME sits on top of X11 and we are talking native X11 connections here. Most probably the SUN is not running any X-server, let alone a desktop. There simply are no launchers, just X-servers (basically a graphic card driver with a network interface) and X-clients (programs which use X-servers to display their data).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

I'm pretty sure he's talking about Xming launcher on Microsoft Windows. Gnome isn't relevant here.

The Solaris machines does not need an Xserver. The client machine where the GUI program is to be displayed, does.