Xming solaris

hello everyone,
i recently got a Sun V245 server,after solaris 10 install i had to find a way of viewing a GUI for this machine. Buying a frame buffer or a sun workstation was not an option for the company that i work, so i desided to do a little search about this problem. I came accross Xming and putty, so i could view my servers console from a WinXp environment (nice :wink: ). Putty is working very well (X11forwarding :eek: :wink: ) Xming, too, i see that they communicate because i can run progs with gui and they are shown on my windows desktop. my problem is how can i setup my server so i would get a graphical login and enter cde or gnome?
have anyone done something like this?
thnk you :smiley:

You need to enable xdm on the sol box and select this as your connection style in your X server software (I'm not familier with xming but xwin32 supports this). The xserve4r software in this mode acts exactly like a XDM terminal except without the need to dhcp and tftp'ed boot images.

Solaris 10 default installation should enable XDM.

With Cygwin's XWin, all I need to do is XWin -query hostname and it will bring up the other server.

However if you are going though an SSH tunnel then I recommend you run Xnest on the far side of the tunnel. You may need to configure your X server to use the Solaris font server (port 7100) and may need to port replicate that using SSH.

ok did it thank u guys for the help
i m posting a screenshot so i can share a little joy:D:D:D:D:D:b::b::b::rolleyes:

I've been using Xming to connect to my Solaris (10) box for a while, and it's worked fine in the past, but now I'm trying to connect while using Cisco VPN client.

I've unchecked the 'Stateful Firewall' option, and disbabled my Windows firewall on the VPN adapter, and seem to get quite far.

I get the black xwindows screen, and the timer cursor, but the login window doesn't appear. After a minute it seems to timeout, and reset (goes back to the grey screen, then the black one and so on..)

Here are the processes which start on the box:

# ps -eaf | grep dt
root 336 7 0 17:48:07 console 0:00 /usr/lib/saf/ttymon -g -d /dev/console -l console -m ldterm,ttcompat -h -p sola
root 1610 1 0 17:54:32 ? 0:00 /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon
root 18499 18492 0 09:56:44 ? 0:00 /usr/openwin/bin/xset fp+ /etc/dt/config/xfonts/C
root 18492 18485 0 09:56:31 ? 0:00 /bin/ksh /usr/dt/config/Xsetup
root 18485 1610 0 09:56:12 ? 0:00 /usr/dt/bin/dtlogin -daemon
# ps -eaf | grep X
root 602 1 0 17:48:27 ? 0:00 /usr/lib/dmi/snmpXdmid -s solaris1
root 18492 18485 0 09:56:31 ? 0:00 /bin/ksh /usr/dt/config/Xsetup

Is there something else I should be looking for? Is this the same error other people get when trying to use the Cisco VPN client? It doesn't look like a case of blocked ports.. I'm still new to X, so I don't know what logfiles I should be checking. If someone could give me a list of logfiles, that would be great.

Cheers,
Michael

When I enable the gdm2-login service it works (but very slowly). I'd like get the cde-login working, as I assume it's a bit lighter..

I'd also like to try xnest, but on my system there's only gdmXnest - any suggestions?

Cheers,
Michael

X windows on Solaris, I just use VNC. The VNC package available on the Solaris Software Companion CD that installs in /opt works best for me but it's very basic.

You can also tunnel VNC through SSH.