Xclock help

This is where I am getting stuck and I am wondering if I can get some help from the community.

I log into putty with X11 forward enable

echo $DISPLAY
DISPLAY=localhost:10.0
export DISPLAY
xclock ( I do see a clock)
:slight_smile:

I am happy that I finally get to install Oracle 11g on solaris through GUI but when I run installer, I get this error.:mad:

"DISPLAY not set. Please set the DISPLAY and try again.
Depending on the Unix Shell, you can use one of the following commands as examples to set the DISPLAY environment variable:

• For csh: % setenv DISPLAY 192.168.1.128:0.0
  • For sh, ksh and bash: $ DISPLAY=192.168.1.128:0.0; export DISPLAY
    Use the following command to see what shell is being used:
    echo $SHELL
    Use the following command to view the current DISPLAY environment variable setting:
    echo $DISPLAY
  • Make sure that client users are authorized to connect to the X Server.
    To enable client users to access the X Server, open an xterm, dtterm or xconsole as the user that started the session and type the following command:
    % xhost +
    To test that the DISPLAY environment variable is set correctly, run a X11 based program that comes with the native operating system such as 'xclock':
    % <full path to xclock.. see below>
    If you are not able to run xclock successfully, please refer to your PC-X Server or OS vendor for further assistance.
    Typical path for xclock: /usr/openwin/bin/xclock"

Do you run installer immediately after logging in, or do you execute some commands before running the installer (like "su")?

I got it. I was logging in as root and then switching to oracle and it was giving me an error
What I did was that I logged in as oracle user and then it just started working. I am installing Oracle through GUI right now.

1 Like