x86 Solaris 8 does not boot.

Hello,

First of all I must say that I have 0 solaris experience and only some average linux knowledge.

One of my friends came to ask for my help today with a Solaris 8 x86 station that would not boot.

The system is a pentium 4 1.6 ghz, 1gb ram, 40 gb hdd.

When I turn it on, I get

and a prompt > that doesn`t react to any command I use. It will not return an error or execute anything, just go to a new line / prompt.

I have tried to boot with a solaris 10 dvd, picked Single User Shell and I get

Yes and I get

It seems that solaris 8 doesn`t use grub but I was to afraid to dig any further since this system hosts a very expensive software with very expensive official support :slight_smile:

Thanks for your time.

You are correct. Solaris 8 X86 did not use GRUB. Solaris 10 1/06 added the GRUB bootloader for X86 systems.

If you have a Solaris 8 Software CD1 (not the installation disk), boot off this CD to repair the installation.

Hey, thanks for the answer. Unfortunately I do not have any Solaris 8 cds and did not found anything on the net.

Anyone has a location where I can download it (ofcourse only if it`s legal / free) ?

edit : found them. Any insight on how I procede now ?

edit again : they were the sparc version :frowning: still looking for the x86 version.

---------- Post updated at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous update was at 12:48 AM ----------

Got my hands on a Solaris 8 x86 instal cd, booted of it and after a few F2 I get to this :

and it asks me for login credentials. My friend swears he gave me the right password but i`m wondering if root is the user I should try to login under since it`s not working.

btw : AMMANN is the only piece of software installed on the system from what I know.

I`m still looking for someone kind enough to point me in the right direction for the Solaris 8 x86 Software cds.

Try and boot to single-user (boot s). Then fsck all the filesystems you can find except root.
And yes, log in as root.