X11 Display Problem with Mac OSX after creating new account

For preliminaries, I am on a Mac Pro running 10.5. I am trying to run a program that opens an X11 graphic and plots a mesh. The little program is called showme. It has worked just fine in the past. Up until I had to make a new user account on this machine for myself. Now every time I try to run the program I get an error about not being able to open display. Here is the specific error that I get

This is quite frustrating because I know I have been able to successfully run this program in the past. I don't really know all the ends and outs of UNIX so I don't even know how to begin to correct this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What's the value of DISPLAY ?

I should also correct an earlier statement. The program uses X to graphically display the mesh. I am also attempting to run the program locally as well.

Try DISPLAY="" myprogram

1 Like

When I try DISPLAY="" myprogram I don't get the X11TransSocketINETConnect line, but it still gives the cannot open display error.

What do you have under /tmp ?

If I ls -l /tmp I get the following:

ls -l /tmp/
total 8
srwxrwxrwx  1 flc      wheel    0 Oct 26 13:41 com.hp.launchport=
srwxrwxrwx  1 flc      wheel    0 Oct 26 13:43 dbus-DMXDk1Aevk=
-rw-r--r--  1 flc      wheel  157 Oct 26 13:43 fink-dbus-session-510
drwx------  3 flc      wheel  102 Oct 26 13:41 launch-3pw9FX/
drwx------  3 flc      wheel  102 Oct 26 13:41 launch-IA1Re7/
drwx------  3 flc      wheel  102 Oct 26 13:41 launch-Uv2Dss/
drwx------  3 forrest  wheel  102 Oct 27 13:54 launch-W6u7fI/
drwx------  3 forrest  wheel  102 Oct 27 13:54 launch-iVCuNz/
drwx------  3 forrest  wheel  102 Oct 27 13:54 launch-mB6ACp/
drwx------  3 flc      wheel  102 Oct 26 13:40 launchd-84.ngzEjz/

The user flc is me and forrest is the name of my previous account (which I have yet to remove from this machine)

Did you try export DISPLAY=:0 ?

1 Like

No, I didn't even think to try that. Wish I had, because that definitely has got it working now! Thank you all for you help with this!