X server on HP-UX without graphics card

Hi Gurus,

I'm trying to install Oracle on HP-UX 11.23. The Oracle installer needs an X server running on the box. You then start an X client on your PC, export the DISPLAY on UNIX and the installer displays on your PC. The problem is that my HP boxes do not have graphics cards installed. Is there anyway to start the X server/CDE without a graphics card? I've thought about X11 tunneling but that isn't an option at the moment. This is what I've done so far:

• ran dr_dt in /usr/contrib/bin/X11. It came back with some warnings but no errors.

• Commented out Screen /dev/crt in /etc/X11/X0screens

• Started a fon server (xfs)

• Set desktop to CDE

• started dtlogin

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have never seen an HP server with a graphic card...
It didnt stop me installing oracle...
And usually the Xserver is wherever you display, so its your PC!
if you are installing as oracle, try in your session to launch xclock:

xclock&

Does it display? so should oracle java interface..

The case when you need an X server running with oracle is not at install, but later (if needed...)...

Just to be complete:
If you need a Xserver to run after (has nothing to do with dtlogin etc...) because of software request (like SAS... and some oracle product...) 2 choices:

1 - man xvfb and get it configured

2 - get something like vnc (was free at a time...)

Thanks for the replies. I have reflection X running on my laptop. I've exported the Display to my laptop's plus :0.0. I can't run xclock. It just says "Can't open display". I tried VNC but I'm getting a ton of errors with it. Also, it requires some sort of X server/software on the server to work. How do I configure xvfb?

As I said if you cant run clock you cant install either...
I also use reflectionX and have no problem, I once had multi-instances but found it to difficult to cope with...

And as far as installing oracle you dont need vnc or xvfb, you need to get your display working:
You didnt say how you connect to the HP box:
Usually with reflection you dont need to set DISPLAY, it is done automatically...

None of our HP-UX machines have graphics cards either, but a couple require xvfb for some application to work correctly (apparently the app generates charts/graphics or something, then captures the output).

Very strange...

do you need to add your laptop to the HP-UX's xhost?

> xhost +<laptopname>