Www.UNIX.com is slow today ???

Hi, Just wanting to know if there is any issues today with the site. Initially I thought it is my internet connection or computer but regardless which one I use, the site has been slow and it is also not showing with the right fonts etc. I've been trying for the last 12+ hours and it's always been the same. Anyway, I'll try again later on or tomorrow.

1 Like

Hi.

I've been loitering on the site for most of the day and haven't seen any performance issues. There was certainly no planned or ongoing activities from our side.

It's possible there was some attempted DoS-type attack on the server while you were on the site, but it has, as far as I can tell, been all right today.

Working great from here all day as well.

Please check your local overseas network connection route if your are international coming to our server in the US.

How is the site running from Europe? The USA?

I'm seeing performance issues from Asia, but I suspect it is a problem with the network here, and not our site?

It's not too fast, in fact slower than usual, and it has been worse before, but it never is lightning fast...

Yeah, I cannot yet tell if the problem is related to our CDN or slowness in the network.

OK.. here is an update on site performance:

Our content delivery network (CDN) seems to be having problems delivering content.

For example. this is a link to some of our JS code on the CDN:

http://linux.unix.netdna-cdn.com/clientscript/vbulletin_global.js

I have had trouble getting the CDN code above to work.

But when I go directly to that code bypassing the CDN, it works fine.

http://www.unix.com/clientscript/vbulletin_global.js

So, I have disabled most (I'm sure not all... ) of the CDN code, updated the templates and flushed the memcache...

So, as the cache rebuilds, lets see if we see any improvement in site performance.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi.

From north-central USA via CenturyLink.

Response has been sluggish here for a few weeks, and just now it has taken 10-15 seconds to see a link.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

PS And this post took more than 40 seconds to complete initially.

I check the network speed every morning. This morning it was just under 40 Mbps.

Hey

Hopefully it's better now.

Seems there was some corruption in the Database, and I ran some utilities to optimize and repair the db and it works much better now.

I think we may be "good to go!" now.

OK MY BAD....

Just optimized the db and the site is running fast again; so please remind me if the site "goes slow" again to optimize the db.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, it's back to its usual response behaviour. Thank you!

Haha..

Next time anyone reports of a perceived slowdown, I'm running this command:

mysqlcheck -u<user> -p --optimize --databases <dbname>;

... before spending hours trying to find the problem LOL

Also, consider:

mysqlcheck -u <user> -p --auto-repair -c -o --databases <dbname>;

Couldn't this be done on a regular basis, e.g. weekly?

Yes, it could be done in a trivially simple weekly script from a cron file at 3AM during the weekend every weekend.

LOL

(PS: Anyway, I'll just do it manually.... I am not very comfortable running batch commands against the DB without being "in the loop" ... )

Thanks a TON Neo for helping here, trust me it is after 2 months I am replying from my own pc(I was working on this site from a friend's Remote pc). I too complained about this few days back in thread Regarding not able to access UNIX.com site

Still I am seeing a very little glitch there, though it is manageable, I would like to request you if we could put some monitoring or etc for this so that we could FIX it if that happens again because I can't LIVE without UNIX.com :slight_smile:

Thank you again for helping here sir.

Thanks,
R. Singh

Hi Ravinder,
What "little glitch" are you seeing?

Cheers,
Don

Our site has been using MAXCDN for many years, and we made a lot of code mods to make the maximum use of this CDN for many years.

Recently, this CDN has stopped delivering content in many locations, but in the past this problem cleared itself.

Yesterday, i spent many hours removing references to the CDN and backing out all the code mods so we will not use this CDN at this time.

There could be some small glitches in a missed reference to the CDN, but so far, all looks good on this end. Naturally, some locations using with ISPs who use a proxy cache server may experience some small glitches until their ISP proxy caches have cleared.

Please feel free to report any abnormalities, of course.

Overall, all the moderators and admins across the globe have reported that the site is running fast and in the US, Don Cragun is reporting sub second load times.

I'm on the opposite site of the world and the site is running without glitches and is quite fast, and I'm currently on 3G instead of the fiber optic link in my condo due to a network service provider issue.

Please post any bugs or problems and we will definitely look into them, especially if you have the specific details.

Thanks!

I view mostly as an outsider in the UK and not log in but in that mode I have not noticed much difference in performance nor any strange effects.

Some adverts can cause a slowdown but as I have not logged in then that would be my problem.

Bazza.

1 Like

2 Hamsters 1 Wheel - YouTube

I think this is the problem

4 Likes

Now I love hamsters more!

They really enjoy "hamsters on the wheel" videos! LOL